I am 65 years old and I have urination problems for almost a year. I have a felling that there is always some amount of urine left in my body. I have been scheduled for a digital rectal exam and the doctor mentioned the possibility of enlarged prostate. Can that be seen with digital rectal exam diagnostic procedure?

Digital rectal exam is a procedure that gives a doctor much information about the enlarged prostate, if that condition exists. Depending on the condition, prostate might be painful on touch if there is some infection, with BHP it might also be bigger. Overall, an excellent technique that will help you see what is really going on with your prostate.

The digital rectal exam is the standard exam that most men have experienced, particularly when going into the military or having a complete physical.

The doctor lubes up a single finger, and when the subject is bent over or laying bent over on the table, inserts the finger into the rectum.

The doctor will usually "swirl" the finger once or twice to check the tone of the sphinter muscle (possible do this upon the end of the exam as he withdraws).

But the portion that you are most concerned with is his attempt to reach in and press forward with the pad of his finger to feel the prostate. Most doctors can feel most men's prostate. They check for smoothness, two lobes left and right, and the depressed valley down the middle. If the prostate is enlarged, they will note that, along with any great tenderness that might indicate an infection.

The typical feeling when the doctor presses upon the prostate is a sense that the subject has to pee or is about to urinate.

Good luck.