Hi! I need some information. My mother has just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Now we are so confused. I’m not sure that it’s a right diagnosis because I heard that it’s very hard to diagnose this disease. Can you recommend any good doctors for multiple sclerosisin US or Europe? Thanks!

I can understand you. I was in same situation three years ago when my mother started to show first signs of MS. Simply I didn’t want to believe in that my mother had so awful illness. We found supporting group for MS in our town and there we met people who know everything about MS. They told us who the best doctors for MS are.

Hello there papageno864,

I completely agree with rosabel1995. First of all no one wants to believe that someone in his family has this terrible condition because, although it hasn’t been scientifically proven, it is believed that certain genes are affecting heredity of this condition.

When my mother was diagnosed with this condition I was really scared and I didn’t know how to act but that’s why the best solution is to find support group. I know that this is the last thing you want to do but trust me in the end you will realize that this is the best solution. And you need to be brave because of your mother! Try to get well informed and you will learn how to manage this easier.

There are many good doctors that specialize in MS, if you are still looking for a doctor.  My doctor, Anne Cross, is one of the smartest and most helpful.  I've been under her care for almost 11 years.  She is in the Department of Neurology at Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine in St. Louis, MO.  But there are great MS research and clinical doctors at MS centers around the US and probably there are great doctors in Europe too.  Johns Hopkins, Maryland Center, Allegheny General Hospital (Pennsylvania), Mellen Center at Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic (Minnesota), John L. Trotter MS Center (St. Louis) all have very good MS programs.

Have hope.  There are now so many treatment options available, and off-label treatments that knowledgeable doctors aren't afraid to try.

Andrew

Also, it isn't that difficult to diagnose the disease.  An MRI would probably give a pretty clear indication.  If you have lesions, you shouldn't wait to start treatment.  But get a definitive diagnosis from a specialist to settle any doubt.  My very best wishes for you and your mother.