Hi, guys. My nephew has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I know that this is a serious disease. Among his other symptoms, he was also diagnosed with dysarthria. I would like to know if it is possible to treat this disorder in people with MS. I will appreciate all your advices.

Hi. Dysarthria is a speech disorder. A person understands what other people talk. He also knows what he wants to say. However, he cannot pronounce it clearly. That is why people do not understand him. It can be common for people with MS. It means usually that they have lesions in cerebellum. You should consult his specialist to see if this is treatable. Good luck!

Hello, there. Dysarthria can appear in people with MS. There is no drug treatment for this disorder. However, you can try with speech therapy. A speech-language should be consulted. There are some things that can be done. Background noise in the room should be reduced. He should face the person he is talking to. Phrases that are used should be simple, not the long ones. Patience is needed. I hope this will help.

Hi, guys. I agree with the previous posts. Dysarthria as a speech problem may occur within people with MS. A person with this problem shouldn’t be rushed to say what they want to say. Some gestures and body language should be used. You shouldn’t insist on precise articulation. If the message is understood, then this is a success as well. I think that it is a good idea to consult a speech specialist. Good luck with this! Please, let me know about a possible improvement.