I am a 27-year-old male. Past few weeks I have been experiencing difficulty when urinating. Every time I need to urinate I feel pain and urine stops in the middle of urinating. I went to my doctor and he found a stone in my bladder. When I heard about this I could not believe it! What I want to know is how does this happen and how can I get rid of it?

Some people have tendency to form urine stones. These stones can end up in bladder after starting in kidneys. Sometimes urinary tract infection can cause growth of bladder stones. It can also happen in cases of enlarged prostate because the normal and full drainage of bladder is restricted. Many people can walk around for many years with stones in their bladders without any symptoms. But if the stone irritates the mucosa of the bladder it can lead to appearance of blood in the urine. Like in your case, pain is also one of the symptoms. When stone get stuck at the entrance of urethra, urinating is stopped in the middle. Treatment basically depends on the size of the stone. Smaller bladder stones can be removed during cystoscopy. In this procedure a tube-shaped instrument is inserted into the bladder through the urethra. When the stone is bigger it can be removed with surgery or with lithotripsy, a treatment in which the stone is reduced to smaller fragments by sound energy. In many cases stones are expelled or removed without permanent damage to the bladder.