Hello! I am 23 years old and I have recently moved out from my parents’ house where I used to lead a very unhealthy life. It was hard to refuse my mom when she bakes a mountain of pancakes (white flour ones) every other day. But now that I live alone I have decided to change my eating habits. I am starting with switching to whole grains. Is millet one of the healthiest whole grains you can eat?

It is definitely one of the healthiest! Yet any whole grains are nutritionally superior to refined grains. Whole grains are richer in dietary fiber, antioxidants, protein, magnesium, selenium and vitamins. If you eat only whole grain products you will decrease the chances of getting some forms of cancer, digestive system diseases, gum disease, coronary heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. If you want to loose weight you might also want to know that higher fiber content also results in caloric reduction in whole grain foods. You cannot make a mistake no matter what whole grain product you choose.

I also agree that millet is one of the healthiest whole grains out there but I would also like to recommend barley, brown rice, oats and wild rice. My personal favorite is brown rice which I cook with a bit of water for an hour or so and then add some soy milk and brown sugar and leave it on for 10 minutes more. You will get the desert of your dreams and it is healthy too!