I am a vegetarian throughout my life. I am an Indian and by religion my entire family through generations are vegetarians. We do not take egg, fish or meat. We do take diary products like butter, ghee, milk and yogurt. Non of my family has cholestrol problem except for me. I am seeking suggestions to reduce Triglycerides and increase HDL through natural diet.

In simple normal human language - what vegetarian foods (vegetables, grains, fruits, oils, diary products) contain T and what H? If I can understand the daily food items, I can choose them properly.

Thank u

If you would like to increase your HDL and reduce triglycerides then you should try to reduce your consumption of butter and ghee. Those are both sources of triglycerides. Instead, what you can do is eat more nuts like peanuts or cashews and if you can, more olive oil. Is that something you can eat?

I already reduced my butter consumption. Now will decrease the ghee. I have included olive oil one year ago to my cooking. I will continue with that. Nuts - I take occassionally as they are hard to digest. Thank you for the advice.

walnuts - if you have a problem digesting them, buy them raw, put them on a baking dish and roast them...crush them and put them into a salad.

avocado - it's a super food...

extra virgin olive oil - not just to cook with, but to drizzle on food after cooking

oats - especially the whole oat - they are called oat groats. and they are made by and usually sold in most stores.

cook them up and wash off the starch.

brown and wild rice. if you have a costco near you, there is a wonderful combination of wild rice with three different types of brown rice.

beans - such as black beans

tomatoes - buy cans of crushed tomatoes or make your own and serve it over the oats or rice.

stay away from processed foods, white rice and enriched flours.

if you have to have bread, have flat breads....breads that don't have yeast in them.

most veggies will help lower cholesterol, especially broccoli and cauliflower....to name a few.....serve with rice or beans and you've got the perfect meal....

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Srilatha wrote:

Ghee is definitely worse for you than butter. Ghee is just the fat part of butter. You would do better to have more butter and less ghee. And of course, olive oil and peanut oil are much better for you than anything. Have you noticed a change in your cholesterol yet?