I think I may be getting a cavity, not sure as it is one of my front teeth. If it is, is there anything I can do besides the typical brush and floss so that I don't have to go to a dentist? Is there a natural remedy for a slight cavity?

I would do almost anything to avoid going to a doctor, but I consider dentists more like ‘holistic practitioners’. They practice preventive medicine, and if that doesn't work, they fix the problem in one or two visits. There are expensive medications that you can use for your problem, but all you have to do is take care of your teeth. A slight cavity can turn into so much worse if you leave it, so I think you should see a doctor. But, to keep the bacteria count down until you do see one, you can gargle with very mild, warm salt water every day. Some people use a solution of salt and hydrogen peroxide, but it is not really natural remedy.

You should really see a dentist because only he/she can clean out the decay. It will not go away or reduce on its own, even if you brush and floss every day. Also, the sooner you catch it, the more you reduce the chance of it growing into the nerve, and giving you a toothache. You said you think that you are getting a cavity - how do you know? It's far easier to get a small cavity filled that is caught early than to have to get a root canal. You should also find a dentist that you can visit every six months for a thorough exam to catch decay and other problems. Despite what most people think, it's actually quite painless to get a filling and much less expensive then getting a root canal.

I have to say that I had a cavity and couldn't get to the dentist office as fast as I needed. While waiting the four days, I doubled up on vitamins and minerals, I soaked a cotton ball in tea tree oil, and ... I ended up canceling the appointment. I was about 27, I'm 42 now, the tooth never ended up bothering me again, but here and there I notice sensitivity and increase vitamin intake. Now, I could have done this different. And ended up with a tooth getting hacked into (which I have 4 that were from my childhood, 50% of the tooth hacked out, you can't recover from that!). I pose a question: does it really get worse if you don't do anything? We've always been told you must do something, but after bad childhood experiences, I have refused to go back. Like I said, I'm 42 now - so even if I have future problems, which I still go to the dentists here and there for check-ups (about every 10 years I meandor in to find out how my mouth is doing - and I AM fine... but if there were future problems, big deal, then treat them then, at least I didn't have someone hacking in my mouth where you can't reverse that kind of damage. I don't know if I'm making myself clear, I've been trying to figure out dentistry from a holistic POV, and I keep coming to the same conclusions - take care of your health, and your teeth will take care of you. But if you have 'work' done, your loss is the dentists gain (in the pocket) - you just can't recover once teeth have been destroyed or pulled out.

What vitamins and minerals did you double up on the most, or at all?

Uh. No. I had a cavity filled and it was SO PAINFUL. Seriously. I made 3 trips to the bathroom so I can escape the pain. And i was CRYING in there. Finally they had to give me laughing gas so I was okay.

You must not be in your right mind.