Hello! My grandmother suffers from arthritis. Although she takes all medicines her doctor prescribes I can’t say her condition is improved much. I think the problem is she eats lots of unhealthy food. She adores meat and potatoes and she doesn’t take enough fresh fruit and vegetables. Are potatoes bad for people who suffer from arthritis?

Hello! Well, I haven’t found any researches with result to support the connection between potatoes arthritis. The only think I know is the effect of potato juice (actually potato water) that is considered as one of the most successful treatments for arthritis. It has been used in folk medicine for centuries. Maybe your grandmother needs to consult a good nutritionist who will help her to eat healthier. If your grandmother includes a variety of other vegetables and starches in her diet then you should not be too concerned about eliminating potatoes.

Re potatoes and arthritis. I suffer from Rheumatoid arthritis and cannot tolerate potatoes at all. As soon as I eliminate them from my diet my joints straighten somewhat and are 50% less painful. Also too many carbohydrates not good either. My hand has straightened out since stopping potatoes in my diet.

You said, she doesnt eat enough fruit and veg, make sure she doesnt have too many oranges and juices etc as they make the joints pain a lot worse.
Hope that helps?

I have osteoarthritis and although I love potatoes, I can't eat them because it causes by arthritis to flare up something bad. It is so bad that I could barely walk. This does not show up on an allergy test either. I didn't even know this was the problem until my mother mentioned that after eating potatoes, her arthritis in her fingers is so bad that her hands turn into claws. :'(

Hi.

Pototoes are starches. Starches are linked to the condition Ankylosing Spondylitis and Klebseilla related reactive arthritis. For full details see the KickAS website. I am on a no starch diet now and am seeing benefits. The theroy being that Klebsiella bacteria mimics some of out own protoens and out body's immune system gets confused. The main food of Klebsiella is starch. Eliminating stasrches completely reduces the Klebsiella population and reduces or eliminates your immune response.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed is very useful.

Good luck,

Andy

actually it's bacteria that cause arthiritis in the first place like rhuematoid I've gotten tested for mycoplasma and I have it. Only 25 years of age I'm going to see a doctor and hopefully I can do whatever i have to do whether it is to take antibiotics. If I were you getting RA the first time I'd go see a doctor and demand they check you thoroughly pcr tests gut bug tests allergy testing. Most doctors are too easy to accept RA as untreatable when it is. Many of us should just watch what we're eating and also what we're drinking. I didn't realize how much red meat I was consuming or chips or anything I was naive and I had a cold once too often. That was my body telling me to slow down and lots of stress and second hand smoke. The thing is I would eat really healthy I love all the foods when I was at my mum's house but at my boyfriend's house it was like what I described before more like the typical american diet that I kind of knew wasn't that good for me but just went along because I was moving out soon. I just didn't think it would happen to me health problems this young but now I know it can and I didn't want to get any worse down the track. The thing is all those medications they put them on with the immune system actually deactivate your lines of defence against other viruses or bacteria. That means the problem does get worse that why there is no cure because the drug companies are making it impossible to cure by letting your body go downhill even if you're fine. I know someone taking enchinachea and they got over it without drugs but they haven't been tested for mycoplasma which I'm sure they probably still have. That's what I know is the cause of my joint pains when I eat red meat especially.

Potato juice from raw potatoes is a great help to anyone that is dealing with any form of arthritis. It has been used for hundreds of years and is still in use today. Cut the potato into very thin slices. You may even need to use a vegetable slicer to make it easier. Just be sure that when you cut the potato into slices, that you do not peel the skin of the potato off. After you have finished slicing the potatoes, set them aside for the moment. Grab a large mixing bowl and fill it halfway with cold water (try to get the water as cold as possible). Place the slices of potato in the bowl and let them soak overnight. In the morning, take the potato slices out and pour some of the water into a glass. Drink the glass of potato juice before you eat breakfast. The newest video information about arthritis you can see here ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed
Good health! :)

Interesting about potatoes: Someone in the medical profession suggested that I leave off eating anything potato. So I started almost a month ago and eliminated potatoes from my meals, not even french fries - and I love french fries. I miss french fries.

I have arthritis and fibro myalgia. Now, something is working. No potatoes equals less pain and less swollen joints. I've been feeding my chickens every day for the past month without asking my son to do all that work. I helped someone in cleaning a house recently and didn't suffer any pain or distress the next day. In fact, I got up, got my clothes on and went and tended to the chickens. And got breakfast. And did some work in the yard.

There is something to this.

Nighshades bring on so much inflammation in my body. It doesn't stop there (for me) either. I also can't have dairy, soy, gluten, sulphites or chicken. It's a very individual thing, our intolerances but I would recommend to anyone that they figure out what their body can't handle. Yeah, I miss these things but I don't miss the pain, dermititis, and inflammation they brought on and there still is a lot of food to be had. Why discredit anything, really? I hope your grandma tries it, there really is nothing to lose.

Hi , I have the same problem with potatoes...............my joints get real sore and painfu.

Diet appears to be a factor in the etiology of arthritis based on surveys of over 1400 volunteers during a 20-year period. Plants in the drug family, Solanaceae (nightshades) are an important causative factor in arthritis in sensitive people. This family includes potato (Solanum tuberosum L.), tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum L.), eggplant (Solanum melongena L.), tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.), and peppers (Capsicum sp.) of all kinds except the black pepper (family, Piperaceae). A buildup of cholinesterase inhibiting glycoalkaloids and steroids from consumption and/or use (tobacco) of the nightshades and from other sources such as caffeine and some pesticides (organophosphates and carbamates) may cause inflammation, muscle spasms, pain, and stiffness. Osteoarthritis appears to be a result of long-term consumption and/or use of the Solanaceae which contain naturally the active metabolite, vitamin D3, which in excess causes crippling and early disability (as seen in livestock). Rigid omission of Solanaceae, with other minor diet adjustments, has resulted in positive to marked improvement in arthritis and general health.
From a 20 year study conducted by 1 Rutgers University, New Brunswick, , 2 Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville,  and 3 Arthritis Nightshades Research Foundation, , San Jose,
I hope this helps finding information...

Hi,,,yes for me potatoes definetly causes my arthritis to flare up badly. No potatoes ,,,I'm well n don't need Any medication.

Hi think I am just starting to work out that every time I eat potatoes my legs well more my knees really hurt the next day is that how u first noticed?

Yes it is ! I have done this for the past 2 yrs. I put mine in a lg glass with lid ( such as Mcdonalds or Sams ) put in the frig and drink first thing in am. Do nothing for 30 min. and then eat breakfast or have coffee. It absolutely works , I have passed on to many people . My Dr is suggesting it to patients. I have no inflammation and got off all the shots and meds. I feel so much better and have been told , I look a lot better too. ( also helps with bowels )