Hello! My grandmother has arthritis. Her joints are often painful and inflamed. Although she used to be very active she hardly can do even the simplest exercise now. She takes some pain relievers but she often has problem with her stomach. My mother often says to me and my sister not to click fingers since this is the main reason (according to her) for arthritis. Can clicking fingers cause arthritis?

Hello! Many people think that clicking fingers in harmful since it creates a gas bubble between the joints, stretching the tendons. It was considered that this was the cause of early arthritis. But, research shows this in not the case. Of course, other types of damage may occur such as stretching of the surrounding ligaments and a decrease in grip strength. Pulling on the joints with too much strength can cause a tear in the fibers that form the capsule and if repeating this too often without allowing the joint to heal back up can lead to decreased strength and further damage.