I'm 62 years old and almost 11 years ago I have been diagnosed with arthritis. I also have a history of heart disease have had one coronary bypass 4 years ago. Last winter I have noticed something strange about my fingers and my nose – they seem to become blue and numb even if I expose myself to mild cold, also when I'm agitated or upset by something the same thing happens. My doctor says that it’s a Raynaud’s phenomenon and that there’s basically no treatment for it. I didn’t understand what it exactly is, some kind of an infection or something? Is there anyone with this problem and how do you manage it?

Raynaud’s phenomenon is no infection, and as you might have concluded from the name itself, it is a physiological phenomenon that happens in some peoples extremities when they are exposed to extreme or in your case even mild cold, although the term “mild” is pretty relative. What happens is that small blood vessels in your fingers, toes and nose shrink as the result of extreme cold, which is a natural reaction of the body that is trying to preserve the heat, the problem with this phenomenon is that the veins and arteries seem to shrink too much causing cyanosis and often ischemic pain in the sufferers of this condition. Unfortunately the cause of this phenomenon is unknown and there is no cure for it for now. All you can do about it is keep your fingers and toes warm at all times, don’t get exposed to extreme cold. Sometimes even if the cold isn’t too great, and if you’re under a great emotional stress that can cause Raynaud’s phenomenon too. Try to relax and don’t get upset – that the only way of fighting it. Also ask your doctor to give you some medications for dilatation of blood vessels like nitroglycerine. If you have any other questions about it feel free to post it here we will be more than happy to answer.

i am 26 years old and have recently been diagnosed with rayaunds disease and arthritis in almost all of my joints. this all came suddenly. i was told by my doctor (who also has raynauds) that the disease can be caused by cervical rib syndrome. this means that you have an abnormality of the the c-spine. there is no cure, they just treat the symptoms. but of course at my age, most doctors think im a drug seeker. so i havent had much luck with my pain issues. good luck

i dont understand this raynauds i was diagnosed on the 25 july im 40 never had anything like this in my life i dont know how to get rid of it
:?Quote:

:?