Hello! My grandmother suffers from arthritis for some time now. She usually has problems with her fingers that become painful and inflamed. Her doctor prescribed non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs that really help her a lot but I am afraid of the possible bad effects to her gastrointestinal tract. I have heard that biofeedback may be useful for arthritis symptoms. What can biofeedback do for arthritis?

Hello! Biofeedback is an alternative method which uses special equipment to help make a person more aware of body's reaction to pain and stress. Some people think that biofeedback helps patient to learn how the body reacts when tense or relaxed. There are some techniques that are considered to help people with arthritis learn to better relax their muscles and control their response to pain. As I know research studies show not so good results in rheumatoid arthritis treatment but it may be beneficial for some symptoms or triggers that can cause a person to flare, such as stress or insomnia.