I am a type 1 diabetic so I was wondering if anyone knew of the best weight loss plan for type 1 diabetes?  I want to lose about 30 pounds by next March.  What diet would keep my sugars controlled but make me lose weight as well?  Thanks!

Hello, Guest!  It is great that you want to lose some weight and you want to make sure you are not compromising your health while doing so.  You will need to make sure you have adequate carbs at designated times per day to keep your blood sugars at normal levels.  Also you will not want to go under 1500 calories per day if you are a woman.  You should stick with 1800 or more calories if you are a man or teenager. Adding an exercise routine will be a great way to get weight down in a healthy way.  Just be sure you do not become hypoglycemic from exercising too hard or too long.  Always have a carb on hand just in case you run into a low blood sugar. Try finding a partner to workout with and keep you motivated.  Exercising in the morning is found to be most effective when shedding pounds effectively.  Being activity will rev up your metabolism and make you feel better.  You can do cycling classes at the Y or join a walking club if you like to have others around you.  Swimming is a great exercise to work out all the muscles in your body.

What has other type 1 diabetics out there do to lose excess weight?  What type of modifications work for you to lose weight?  Did you incorporate an exercise program of some sort into your routine, and if so, what kind of activity?  How much weight did you lose successfully?  What worked and what didn't?

I have been a type 1 for several years, diabetic for 12. I have slowly gained 20lbs. I never waivered weight wise until now. There is nothing that I can do to lose this extra weight. I exercise (fast walk) every day for at least a half hour at a time, sometimes 3 times a day. I don't overeat. I am 72 and healthy, active, etc. What on earth is the secret to getting rid of excess weight?!! I can't stand not being my usual weight. Is insulin the reason for the weight gain? I'm thinking it must have something to do with it.
Thank you!