I'm female, have prediabetes, I am 168 cm tall and currently weight 79 kilos. I've spoken to my family doctor about the possibility of starting on a diabetes drug, including perhaps Trulicity. In the meantime, since the diagnosis of prediabetes, which came several weeks ago, I've also aggressively gone low carb. I've been trying to exercise more, which is hard because I am really quite unfit at the moment, but I'm sticking with it.

My question is if I should just stick with the diet and exercise or whether you think Trulicity is a good additional option for me. I have heard that it curbs the appetite and regulates blood sugar levels.

I would really like to hear from anyone with experience with Trulicity and weight loss.

Not very. If you're lucky, Trulicity will help you drop between three and six pounds, which is nice but not the be-all, end-all. Weight loss is really 90 percent diet, with exercise and other factors (including sleep patterns, actually) making up the rest. I think you should go low carb ASAP, strictly. Cut out bread, pasta, rice, etc, and focus on veggies and protein. No sweets. Take a few pieces of fruit a day, especially berries, which are low in sugar. Keep this up, and you can lose quite a lot of weight very quickly — I've done it myself. 

Yup. 

Low-carb diets are great for everyone, but have also particularly been shown to lead to vastly improved blood sugar levels. You don't go through ups and downs so much, and you don't have to feel hungry on a low-carb diet either. Personally, when I do pig out on carbs, I start feeling hungry immediately after. If I do low-carb, as long as I keep my protein intake up, I don't feel hungry at all. The good thing is also that you can eat as many veggies as you like and there is no need to count calories. It takes a while to get used to, but after that you really do start feeling a lot better. If you drink, especially beer, that's something that contains lots of carbs as well. Time to give that up!

Hey,

I just wanted to put this out there. Another diabetes drug in the GPL-1 category, semaglutide, has been found to do much better than Trulicity in terms of blood sugar control and weight loss both. Like Trulicuty, this drug is used once a week and is ideal for people with type 2 diabetes.

Rather than getting stuck on the idea of one particular drug, why not both ask your doctor to recommend what they think is best and ask questions about every medication you have read about so far? This should ensure that you end up with the best treatment for you. 

So, I spoke with my cousin with type 2 diabetes just the other day and it turns out he was on both Metformin and Trulicity. I'm not sure what he's on now, but it's something different. Anyway, he didn't lose weight, only gained it. Thing is, he doesn't actually eat much, 'cause he's an alcoholic and I think almost all of his calories come from beer. He's as fat as a house, and I do worry about him, but I still love him. On that combo, you should, by rights, lose weight, and quickly. But the thing is, responsible eating enters into it a great deal as well. You gotta do your part. Then weight loss will follow.

I started on Trulicity two months ago, together with the humulin I was already on. I was really looking forward to experiencing weight loss on Trulicity, something everyone and my doctor said would happen. Guess what? It didn't! I honestly haven't lost anything. The moral of the story? I don't know. I'm still hoping someone can tell me that there's something I can do to help the weight loss along, but it just hasn't happened so far. So basically, I'm here to say that Trulicity doesn't necessarily lead to weight loss and that is something you should be prepared for before you start. Don't get your hopes up, in other words.

Celebrity

Hey,

I see people asking for information about diabetes drugs and weight loss quite a bit. Having been overweight myself for a long time, I understand how urgent you feel about losing the weight, and I also understand that being overweight has an influence on your diabetes.

However, please look at your diabetes drugs as diabetes drugs to control your blood glucose levels, and which may or may not help you lose weight. Weight loss still needs to be worked on separately, through diet and exercise. If you are not sure how to go about that, ask the same doctor who is prescribing the drugs.

Rosie