This post is an extension of the

Feels like there's something in my throat thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I've developed these symptoms over the last three of four days. It feels as if I have something stuck in my throat, possibly behind my right tonsil. The bit about it being associated with stress fits my situation perfectly as I've just finished taking university final exams. It doesn't hurt, it's just extremely irritating and nagging. I live in a small town about an hour from the closest big city, so I have no local doctor. I suppose I will find one tomorrow and get checked out. I'm a 22 year old male. I drink regularly on the weekends and generally smoke 1-5 cigarettes per day, although I am trying to quit (3 days strong). I have and still occasionally do smoke marijuana and am somewhat of a hypochondriac so of course I'm assuming it's cancer.

I'm a nineteen year old female. Ht: 4'9" Lbs: 115

I just woke up, it's about 3:15a.m and I can't go to sleep.
Lately I've been having the feeling that my neck is getting large and when I lay down to sleep I feel some pressure in my throat that makes sleeping slightly uncomfortable. Today I fell asleep quicker than I usually do, woke up once to relieve myself then keep awake only to again relieve myself forty minutes later.
During the period I remained awake I couldn't help but notice the feeling in my throat felt like a lump, I don't know if I had it during the day because it doesn't bother me as much when I sit up, lying down is a very different story. I stretched my neck in different directions hoping to find some way to sleep however the more I did this the more I began to feel what was there - It defiantly feels like a lump or my tonsils, the only problem is I've never had a problem with my tonsils but I do have hypothyroidism (My specialty doctors never said I would experience this symptom.)

I'm afraid of going to sleep for the reason that I fear my throat might collapse.
I'm going to have this checked out today if I can, the problem is I recently moved to another state to live with family. I came to college but I left my insurance card at my house which is three hours away from me and at the moment I'm not sure a doctor would touch me knowing that.

Any response would help a lot especially if I don't see a doctor today.
Until I know what I'm dealing with I doubt I'll be able to sleep easy, that is if I can.

Thank you.

Hi I read some of the posts from a few years ago, but some kind of went off in different tangents, so I looked for the recent stuff and came to this extention of the original post..

First off, I am a 24 year old female..
So, I woke up this morning with difficulty swallowing. I had a bad cold a few weeks ago, and have occasionally coughed up phlegm since. But this time was different. I coughed up what looked like chunks of flesh, along with some clear phlegm. But the sensation of something behind my uvula (dangly thing in back of throat) was still there. I have never had a sensation like this before. I did google searches and came accross info on polyps or even esophogeal cancer! It has been a few hours and I can swallow a little better, but can still feel something in the back of my throat. Also, I have had a history of mild acid reflux ever since I can remember, which has caused occasional heart burn, idigestion, and regergetation (a little vomit / acid coming up in my thorat). I don't know if my current symptoms could be realted to this. Another possible relation is that I have inconclusivly been diagnosed with inflammed bowel disaese or at least irratable bowel symptom. I know the esophogus and bowel are all part of the digestive system. But is the top of the throat even part of the esophogus??If anyone has any info, please let me know!
Meanwhile, I will most likely schedule a dr. appt.

I've got the same problem with the lump in my throat, just around the Adams' apple area. Trying to force swallow, or cough, does no good so don't bother. Mine began about a week ago when I was eating dinner and it was hotter (heat hot not spicy hot) than I'd expected but I was already in the swallowing process and I did just that. The food seemed to have paused right about there and I had to force it down all the while it was burning my throat.

At times I can reach in and *feel* a small hard lump at the base of my tongue (sorta like a scab if that's possible in the warm, moist environment of the throat). Today I felt down there and could feel a ribbon-like edge expanded across my throat ... almost like I'd swallowed a ribbon with an edge up that I can feel along it. Sounds weird I know.

I've read these other posts and looked this up online also and will continue to do so. I'm going for the warm tea idea and the Valium posted on the previous page, we'll see if that helps LOL

I don't have reflux, no stuff oozing out of my throat (course I have had a tonsillectomy when I was young), nor any other issues that should have caused this other than what I said above. I'm a relatively healthy 51 year old female. I don't drink, smoke, etc.

mutluturk's post was helpful and the most similar to mine. Some of the other posts were most entertaining ... some just way tmi that probably isn't even related to this thread 0.o A good word of advice is to take all you read with the proverbial *grain of salt* and consult as many physicians as you can afford to try to track it down for a cure. This post goes back some two years and I see no real help offered as far as anyone really knowing the cause/cure. At least it doesn't seem to be life threatening, but yes very annoying!

To recap so y'all don't have to read all 11 of the previous pages (unless you want to), here's some keywords I picked up from all the previous posts, as well as some search words I've come up with, you might want to do some Google searches on these to find out more! Good luck ;o}

lump in throat

torn throat muscle

tonsil stones

throat nodules

carotiditis

soft pallette

allergy to aspartame

pharyngeolaryngitis-muscle spasms

oral thrush, a yeast overgrowth

Kali Bichromium is a homeopathic preparation that helps with "sticky phlem, scratchy feeling, inability to clear throat."

It feels like I have a marble in my throat. The feeling is right in the front right ABOVE the little fleshy indentation where your collar bones me at the bottom of your neck. I dont always have It, but when I do it feels like I have a burp stuck there or a marble. It doesnt hurt or effect my eating, breathing or swallowing that I can tell. It's just EXTREMELY annoying! I, was told it was a sympton of a Hiatial hernia, but my Chiropractor made the adjustments for that and It came back. In my 44 years of life, i've only been to the doctor twice(out of a 100 or so times) that I received help and that's because they could something! Unless you need to be cut on they are worthless! I have a nutritionist that uses kineseology. Kineseology has been the only thing that has been consistant at pinpointing whats going on. I will let everyone know what I find.

can people stop saying "i too have the same symptoms"? no one cares if you have the same symptoms we want to know how and why??

so people shut your mouths unless you have the answer we all want.

My doctor told me that the reason of the thing that staying in back of my throut is related with my nose. I had an accident when I was a child, ball hit my nose. There was nothing wrong looking from outside and I did not care about it. But the dr told me that, because I can not breath thorough my nose, I had breath thorugh my mouth and that cause air dust and etc collects in my throat. I was afraid of the surgery and did not accept nose surgery. If the problem bothers me a lot I will probably consider it.

Thanks,

Well, there is no universal cure for anything, but I was just introduced to a little trick a friend of mine told me when I asked if he had the same thing. It's a bit... unpleasant, however.

What you do is take vinegar, mostly any kind will work, and drink some SLOWLY (3-5 gulps, or as many as you can stomach), making sure that it passes over where you think the affected region is. If it's a food/phlegm deposit, it'll get washed away most of the time, and it seems to work for me.

It is disgusting, yes, but you aren't harmed by it long-term (unless you do it daily >_>) and anyone could do it in a few minutes with things from the kitchen, so at the very least give it a try.

Well as many know, it appears that these doctors do not know what is wrong with us! I have had this issue for 3 years now and it has its moments of getting worse and also moments of getting better. I take bentyl and xanax for the problem. I guess the doctor doesnt know if it is a muscle spasm or stress and thinking i am having anxiety issues. All I can say is when I take the medicines together that feeling goes away, and that in itself is a wonderful thing. It has gotten better, for 3 months now I have only had to take the meds twice. I have been to oh 9 or 10 doctors and none of them know what the heck this is, right along with the very many on here who have been to the doctor and none of us have found a dr that has figured this out. Try the meds I listed and see if it works for you as it did for me. Atleast if it works you have found some relief somewhere in this situation.

Hi everyone i too like many have been feeling this lump like thing in my throat on and off for three years now. But i have some good news it seems that it only appears when i eat certain foods that contain dairy products (Even Biscuits god dam it). The feeling is all down to a reaction to certain foods that i am eating. Also eat small amounts regularly and dont eat before you go to bed.Try this for about six days and it will hopefully disappear. Oh for some reason tea and coffee also bring on my symptoms so i guess it plenty of healthy water, juice etc. Bottom line watch what you eat, relax don't panic, take control of what enters your body and be strong.

Hi All,

I know these posts are older, but also realize what an on going struggle these symptoms can be. Seems like everyone is being differently diagnosed but with similar symptoms. Essentially it all makes sense. For me, my family and I thought it was anxiety when I would feel like I couldn't eat/swallow and would get almost a numbness annoying feeling in my throat. I finally went to see a doctor as I had fought anxiety before and new if I saw a ENT and gastro specialist it would rule out anything serious and the nervousness would go away. He diagnosed me with silent Acid Reflux- meaning I had ingestion and acid but didn't feel it until I couldn't swallow (no chest pains etc). I stuck to tums, took coffee out of my diet along with tomato based sauces - most acidic foods, and tried to eliminate my chocolate intake. This worked well for a while and I was able to eat again. Recently the feeling has come back differently- as if there is something behinf my uvula as people are stating below- I have to agree with the above that it could be due to a dairy based diet. I am big on ice cream, frozen yogurts and shakes on days when it was difficult to eat so these have become a large part of my diet since they are easy to get down and reduce acidity... however they do creat phlegm and can increase inflamation in the sinus area and make silivia thick creating this new symptom. That is the best rational I have. For those of you mentioning that it is stress and anxiety induced as well- I think that can be the case too. My symptoms are made worse by it becuase I'm so sensitive to even the slightest change in my body- it's natural to tense up when you feel something isn't right- so please do keep that in mind and try not freak out too much. I've also read that brewers yeast is good for acid- so when all else fails maybe have a glass of beer if you're over 21 to help find some relief.

Hope someone finds this a bit helpful and finds some reason to their panic/ symptoms.

Thanks just tryed this and it seems to have worked for me thanks

Hi - I am 55 years old. I have been experiencing these symptoms for about 2 months. I went to the doctor and she was pretty sure it was related to acid reflux. She prescribed medicine which didn't help much. Really it felt like there was a noose around my neck and it was getting tighter. Also a knot like sensation on the right side. I read a post that said you should consider a gluten allergy as a cause. So I thought I would go back to the basics, cut anying out of my diet with gluten. To my suprise, my symptoms have been gradually resolving and are nearly gone. This is certainly worth a try.

I just googled this topic because I feel like something is stuck in my throat and it is alarming. I don't know whether to go to the ER. There is no pain of blockage. It feels like there is a swollen vein or something in the very back of my throat although there is nothing there. My son was a quad on a vent and years ago he was tested for something called "pouching" which means the throat forms a loose place where food pouches into. I don't know. I just took a tranquilizer thinking that the first thing I need to do is calm down. I hope that helps. I am breathing fine but it is very unnerving. I have an inversion table and tried that, but it didn't help. I have been gulping water but that hasn't worked. If it isn't cleared up by tomorrow. I guess I'll go to the ER and have them do a sonogram of my throat. Or what ever. Best, DB