I have been to the Doctor and he said he has no clue what is wrong. He isn't running any tests because he says I'm to young to have anything seriously wrong with me. I'm 29. I have an HMO for insurance and it just seems like noone wants to help me' I'm scared. Here is my situation... Every morning after I wake up about an hour or 2 later my throat feels like there is A CRUSHING FEELING Like someone is pressing on my Adams apple and like my throat is closing, It stays with me all day until bedtime which it's hard to sleep because it's very annoying this feeling! It is not a sore throat i've tried taking rolaids thinking it was acid reflux. This did not work, I've tried gargling with salt water, peroxide. I tried drinking hot tea. Nothing is working. When I take Nyquil before bed this makes my throat numb and I can actually sleep. When I went to the Dr he gave me zyrtec. I do not have allergies and I never have had them. I feel like something serious has to happen to me before I am helped. This has been going on for over a week now. Please help!!!!!

I strongly suggest you get a second opinion. No good doctor is going to say he has no idea what's wrong with you, and how can you be too young to have something seriously wrong? That doesn't make sense. You should see a specialist, like an ear/nose/throat doctor because it could be something more than a sore throat and waiting isn't going to help at all.

I would have the doctor check your thyroid. I had the same problem. My thyroid was swollen due to it being underactive. You can have him do this by a simple blood test.

I have the same problem and my doctor just said i have anxiety and panic. I wake up every morning, like you around 2 hours later my throat feels swollen and i have a dull pain in my head with lots of tension. I also get random pressure in my sinuses and dizziness I have never had an allergy in my life, I also had a thyroid test that came back negative. ??? Do you have any of these other symptoms?

I wouldn't push the idea of allergies out of the way. You should get tested. It could be an allergy and asthma thing. I would feel that way sometimes, and have asthma, so every doctor would say "its asthma" in a "DUH!"-like manner.

I saw a Nurse Practitioner, she said it was asthma related allergies. I might have put that wrong. Either way, I started taking zyrtec, and she also said I'd need a daily steroid - like pulmicort and advair. After about two weeks of taking those, I felt better.

More things to think on, I've also had a problem with this feeling while being pregnant. I found out I have Factor V Leiden, a genetic disorder where you clot more easily. Even though I'm on medication to thin my blood, I still have the crushing problem.

Factor V Leiden "sufferers" cannot have high amounts of estrogen, so they cannot take "normal" methods of birth control. Going by this, I have a theory that with being pregnant, I'm getting more hormones, and my hormones are causing this.

I've talked to my DR about this and she said that its from hyperventilation. We don't realize we're doing it but it happens, especially when pregnant.

You never said you were pregnant, nor gave a gender, but there are similar situations you might be able to think on, suggestions to give another DR... Sometimes DR's want to be parents rather than DRs (no offense to any reading) - they would rather tell you you're going to be okay, like "mom", than actually deal with the problem. So, it helps to push and make suggestions.

This may be more of a great story than an actual helpful post - sorry.

I think that what the above poster said was pretty helpful. I think that allergies would be the cause of that crushing feeling. Every spring I get the same feeling if I don't go see the doctor to get an allergy shot. I think that you provided a lot of good insight. Really your reply could have been its own post but it was nonetheless interesting to read. Thanks for posting!

My throat has felt like this as well. I went to the doctor and said that possibly my acid reflux had damaged my esophogus it gives the feeling like there is pressure on throat almost like it's kinked or something. He perscribed Protonix and we'll see if that works.

I would really like to hear how it's working because that does make some sense to me. It's been five days--have you noticed any imprvement/

i to have this same feeling of my throat closing up ,i've had it for about a month now its really annoying it feels like someones slowly closing there hands around my neck some days its not so bad but others its unbarable,i suffered from anxiety and depression about 9 years ago and had a similar thing happen and went to the doctors who said it was acid reflux and anxiety causing it but i still was'nt any better after taking medication ,so i went back to the doctors and they refered me to a ENT specialist and they put a camera up through my nose and down the back of my throat which was slightly uncomfertable,but everything was fine and after another course of medication for acid reflux it went away and i put it down to all the anxiety and depression but now 9 years later its come back but worse than it was before,so i'm a little worried incase they actually missed something or wether its anxiety again ,i have a 4 year old little girl who is going through a difficult stage at the minute with really bad behavour which is really stressing me out so i really am worried cos i dont want to get back to how i was 9 years ago so if anyone as any answers i would really appriciate it ...
thank you ..
worried mum

Do you take any medicine for acne? I found out the pressure caused in my throat was from a Monodox (Doxycycline) pill. I am getting off this pill now and I hope it helps.

i suffer from anxiety and panic attacks also, everyday, i have done so since i was 17 im now 38, this same feeling in the throat has been wiyh me now for 2years but only the last few weeks its become alot worse. ive had scans etc and i know in my heart its my anxiety causing it all because if i happen to forget about it during the day i notice nothings wrong and as soon as i realise and start thinking of it, it occurs again....stress less, get checked to be sure but just relax and maybe try meditating or yoga. i can talk though, i do nothing, im to busywith three boys, no money and no time to myself, lol. good luck.

i also have to same problem i have to sleep with my at just the right angle so i can sleep. no doctors will help me on it. my thyroid is fine i dont have any allergies and it feels like there is a lump. the doctors just shrug their shoulders and say they cant help.

im havinq this problem with my throat too it feels like its heavy and like my throat closinq but its really not like pressure on my throat and help beacause this is really anooyinq???

i accually have the same problem as you, eccept im like half ur age(im 15) and it doesent hit me in the morning, it hits me like right when i go to bed. i am also starting to get alot of sinus headaches, and dizzyness, also im starting to feel nauseas(sp) which could be cause by the dizziness. if anyone finds out wat this is, i would be glad to know

I have the same problems as well, did you ever find out what it was?