I have felt what feels like a lump in my throat for the past 2-3 months and I am really concerned. I have no trouble swallowing, no hoarseness in my voice, and no difficulty breathing. There is occasional pain, but otherwise I feel normal. What is going on with my neck. Is it cancer or a swollen gland problem?

Look, it is hard to tell but there are so many medical causes for this lump in throat feeling. Maybe you are just stressed. Usually, that is the main reason and you said alone - you have a little pain. 

Also, it is very important to seek for doctor's help because he can help you determine where this lump's position is exactly and how big this lump is.

According to that, he will do some analysis and he will see what is going on in your case.

Just remember that being anxious activates the stress response and this can cause lump as well. 

Where is this lump you feel located? Could this be the inflamed gland on the side of your neck? And is it only one gland that hurts?
You know that these glands (the lymph nodes) are located on both sides of the neck, under the jaw and behind the ears. They swell when you catch a cold or when your throat is sore. But of course, there could be some other reasons, such as injuries near the glands or when tumor or infection occurs in the mouth, head or neck.
Since you said the swollen gland has been present for a few months, you should immediately have it checked by your health professional. Normally, swollen lymph nodes return to their normal size within a few weeks. You have had gone to see the doctor much earlier, I hope everything will be okay.

you said some thing about the thyroid disorder. it might be a cyst cancer. do you know about it treatment

hi guys, i have a lump in my throat that has begun to concern me, its just above my adams apple, and i'm convinced it has become bigger over the last few months, its around the size of a garden pea (if this helps?) could it be smoking that causes this? and does it sound like cancer? i only smoke 6-7 a day

Hi i feel as if thier are 2 lumps at the side of my troat . I want to know what it is ?.It really hurts.

Alright,

So Here's my situation, I dont have health insurance, unfortunatleey and I dont watn to spend thousands of dollars to go waste time if this is nothing, I dont know if there is a lump in my throat, but for the last month it feels like the sensation is not going away. I never felt like I had a lump in my throat before, so this is a new sensation, I acutally started feeling it when I was smoking cigarettes and some pot every day like 3 times a day... but now I quit both cigarettes and pot, so I am feeling better over all but this feeling in my throat is not gone, and the other strange thing is that right next to the feeling there are a few swollen glands which do not go away.
Symptoms:

When I first Started feeling the sensation in my throat I only felt it while smoking a cigarette, so that was another reason I gave them up. I am afraid my cells mutated, so if that happend i may have cancer.. I just dont know, but its been probably 3 months total I am guessing that I ve started to get the feeling. I mean its hard to remember but definitly for 2 months. Just probably a week ago I started to have the sensation more consistently, sometimes it becomes less noticable after I eat or if I chew gum, otherwise I have the sensation, not to mention the glands which dont feel huge, but are there.

No pain
Glands No Pain
no cough
no difficulty breathing
only feel sensation on right side of throat
cant feel it from the outside, except a few swollen glands, which are not tender or sore, just can feel them.
just quit smoking pot like a week ago..

Life style Cons:
Smoked for 5 yrs on and off... maybe like 2.5 total
stress due to work, long hours,
Often Lack of sleep.

Pro's:
quit smoking
starting to eat healthy - vegtables good diet but not too many times a day.
dont really drink, used to..
I am 24 yrs old
Havent really had too much contact with a phisician for about 7 yrs..
no primary phisician

I am conserned but dont know how to act because I dont really have insurance like I said and right now I am self employed and its really really a rough time financially, I am in between a rock and a hard place, go get checked out and spend thousnads I dont have, or die of cancer. So any suggestions or advice is cool... Thanks

my boyfriend has for a few hours now complained of a swollen neck and sore tongue he has reported of cramps in his cheek and tongue his neck has swollen dramatically and is clearly visible do you have any ideas as what it could be

i am quite concerned, ive had a little lump in the middle of my throat for quite some time now and worried it might be serious. could this be cancer? it doesn't really hurt, only if i touch it. im 18. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to try to ease you mind a bit. I can tell that you are concerned. You seem just like me in that we probably have a tendency to over think things and worry too much. I'm going to address a few of things you mentioned.

First is that you smoked for however long. Let me commend you for quitting. Your age and length of time smoking seems to be strongly in your favor. My understanding, albeit I am not a doctor, is that the fewer years you have smoked and the younger you are when you quit, the less likely one may be to developing cancer. It seems highly unlikely that you would have gotten cancer from your limited tobacco use.

Second is that you gave only two options for your treatment. Die of Cancer or spend thousands of dollars. That is a but dramatic to start with. A. your medical problem could be (and likely is)something far less serious than cancer. B. It takes some pretty heavy duty medical procedures to spend thousands of dollara. That is not to say that medical care is cheap. In other words a regular doctor's visit to assess the problem should cost a new patient anywhere from 80-150.00 depending on many variables. If he refers you to a specialist that may be more, but only when you start having procedures done does the cost start to creep up. Your issue could be solved for under 200.00. Again that's not to say that it will.

Now Finally, the biggest issue I see is the lack of health insurance. Suppose you had some health insurance. Even if it carries high deductibles, many plans that carry high deductibles have flat rates for office visits. This means you might only pay, say 40.00 to have it checked out. Your mind would be much more at ease and if you did have something seriously wrong, you would have an out of pocket maximum of a maybe a few thousand dollars. Which although it may sting for a bit to recover it wouldn't catastrophically break you financially. GET HEALTH INSURANCE. Your health is top priority, make it so. On your list of must pay bills every month this should be at or very near the top. Just think how much stress that avoids you and on a larger level you won't be drain on public tax payers dollars should you become very ill or have a major accident. Everything you do affects everyone.

Good Luck to you my friend!

I also have a feeling of a lump in my throat - sometimes worse than others . I have been to drs. who tell me it is acid reflux . From research on computer it can cause lump feeling , breathing difficulty, hoarse voice and many others . I never have heartburn but was told it could still be acid reflux . No improvement yet but I take Prilosec [ which can be bought over the counter] , have been trying to watch my diet ,etc. Do some research on your computer .

I had strep for a week and was on medication. then ive noticed it was very painful swollowing it feels like a ball is stuck in my throat. well its been a couple of days now and still the same thing no change except for this morning not only does it hurt to swollow but it hurts to talk. does anyone know what this could be?

I also have a feeling of a lump in my throat and have had it for a few days now. I went on line to see if I could find a connection to anything and have found what I think I may have. First of all, I had a sore throat (like the start of strep throat) for a couple of days. Also, I've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately. Either of these two things can cause what is called cricopharyngeal spasm lump. From what I found out, cancer doesn't usually cause alot of discomfort until it gets quite large. This came on very suddenly, so I'm pretty sure that it isn't cancer. Some doctors perscribe valium to try to relax the throat, but it can be addictive. Now that I know that it probably isn't cancer, I think I'll be able to relax a bit...hopefully it gets better, but it can take from a few days to a few months! Anyhow, if you're still worried about it, you should insist that your doctor gives you a referal to a specialist and get yourself a cat scan or an MRI. You can never be too careful! Hope this helps.....Caren

i started to feel a lump in my throat about a week ago and of course my first prediction was cancer. i don't have swollen glands and the lump feels like its just to the side of my throat (right side). have you noticed that when you think about it, it feels much worse, but if you don't think about it, you don't feel it?! i also have heatburn. i smoke..but i'm trying so hard to quit..i think this is a sign.
i went to the doctors today..i had a blood test to see if anything is wrong with my thyroid. the doctor says that it could just be stress, i've read on the internet that this can be a sign of anxiety.
so my advice is to go to the doctors..to put your mind at ease.
good luck everyone!
: )

i have had same ...for over 18mnths off n on..and is also sometimes worse than others...i am going to see dr soon..i have been avoiding going because im afraid...my 43yr old sis in law died last year with throat cancer she had lots of other health probs and so lump was put down to acid reflux..as she was in hospital for 18mnths being treated for alcoholic related problems...within 3wks of them finding this large tumour...my girl was dead...she was to weak from the booze to have treatment...n died bravely in our arms...you would think that ide have the sense to get help...instead..of hideing...always question authority mate..as spesh drs.