hi. im 18, 6'4", 220 pounds not much overweight or anything. but for about six months i have dizzy almost constantly and my heart beats hard and fast sometimes even when im just laying down. i have been dizzy for over a year but it became constant when i began with the heart problems. the first day it was really bad i was driving and it felt like i had a heart attack or something (but im 18) with sometimes severe chest pain and pressure and extreme dizzyness. i was pretty freaked out. i have been to the doctors regularly and weve done a catscan of the head, echo of heart, renal artery mri, blood test, and several other tests and cant find the problem. i also had mono for a while a couple months ago because they tested for that and it was positive but i think thats over (its been 6 months) i started an anxiety medicine a week ago to see if thats the problem but im not real anxious or anything. so far the medicine hasnt done anything but i guess it doesnt start fully working untill 2 weeks. but im really sick of all this. help? thanks.

Hello there! It must be hard for you coping with all these symptoms at the age of 18!

Tell me, do you have a history of heart disease in your family or even chronic high blood pressure? Did any of your closest family or relatives suffer from heart attacks or sudden deaths?

This chest pain you experienced…..is it also constant or just happened that one time? Where exactly did you feel it? How does it hurt?
If you still have pain in the chest, try to push this area and see if the pain worsens. If it hurts more when you push, then it is probably not your heart because you can’t reach to the heart through the chest wall.

Have you had your high blood pressure checked? Thyroid levels? Mentioning any of the additional symptoms you may be experiencing might help. Do your hands sweat?

Do you have problems with visions or headaches? Low blood sugar, anemia?

You already said you are not anxious but are you taking any drugs, having a lot of caffeine from coffees, teas or sodas…..what are your eating habits….are you overeating, exercising……exercising too much, etc?

Are you under a lot of stress because of school, a girl…anything of that kind? How much do you sleep? Most of these questions need to be answered in order to get an idea about your daily activities. If you are not getting any help from these doctors, maybe you should look for another opinion!

FOR THE LAST YEAR .I HAVE HAD ANEXITY ATTACKS . I GET DIZZY LIGHTHEAD .HOT AND COLD .HEADACKES EVERYDAY ON MED THEY WORK SOMETIMES BUT NOT ALWAYS MY BLOOD PRESSE GET HIGH .ITS NOT FUN AT ALL THEY HAPPEN AT ANY TIME PLEASE HELP ME TO CHERYL

Did you ever discover the cause of your dizziness? My daughter is experiencing the same symptoms.

These symptoms that the people are posting are almost exact to the symptoms of an anxiety attack or better known as a panic attack - rapid heartbeat (almost feels like a heart attack), dizziness, cold/hot, sweaty, dry mouth, blurred vision and sometimes even seeing spots.

This is definitely not fun and can also be so scarry that the person often feels that he/she is having a heart attack.

First, cut out all caffeine. No sodas, no coffee and no chocolate. Start reading labels. Stop smoking. Practice correct breathing from the diaphram. Place your hand on your chest and breath in. If your chest rises and falls you are doing it wrong. We are born with this skill and quickly loose it as we get older. If you watch a baby breathe you will notice that the chest does not rise and fall but the cavity below the ribs do. This is breathing from the diaphram. This type of breathing not only relaxes the body but also fills the lungs with air thus promoting greater oxygen to run through the blood.

Also, know that you are not alone. You are not a freak. Many many people suffer from this. Do not become afraid of these attacks as this may lead to more anxiety. Instead, tackle them head on. Excercise is a great stress reducer. If you feel like an attack is coming, try to occupy yourseflf with something else. Take a walk around the block. Pick up the phone and talk with a friend. You will notice that the symptoms will slowly become more tolerable and hopefully they will disappear all together.

There are a great number of books available on this subject. The library is a great resource. The more you know how to control this nasty feeling the less you will be afraid of it.

wow i didnt know other people would feel this way as well. randomly i get these symptoms where i feel dizzy, blackout, cold sweats and mostly my heart gets going so fast i feel as if im having a heart attack. im not sure what it is and i really wish i did. i get very scared and nervous when this happens. i went today for questions and was told maybe im not eating enough, or my body isnt producing the correct amount of blood. or lastly i could even have diabeties. but i am not sure and am very worried.

I am so releived to see that i am also not the only person. I suffer exactly the same things here and im only 22 myself. I regualary use Rescue remedy, its a herbal drop that reasures you inside when u feel a panic attack or are feeling very nervous. Its very good and you buy it from the supermarket. I live off it, without it, i'd wouldnt be able to cope with my panic attacks. I aswell, get a very nervous feeling in my stomach, aches in various places and constantly think i am gonna have a heart attack. I've been having these attacks since i quite smoking cannabis 2 years ago. The reason i stopped smoking it was because i had a massive panic attack trip while i was stoned and it scared me so much, the thought and smell of "weed" makes me feel sick and very on edge. All these things all stick in my mind, make me anxious and trigger my panic attacks. I get them when im driving, laying in bed, random times but like the Doc said, if you feel one coming on, go 4 a walk, cut down on tea and coffee, it all helps, i am now quiting ciggarettes aswell and started exercising and eating fruit, feel so much better. We must all help eachother through this.

Im 25 yrs old and just recently started having these attacks. 1st one happened when i went to a club, didnt sleep much had little to eat that day and drank sum energy drink with vodka and smoked sum weed...i almost died that nite..had a huge panic attack, and had to leave, went home took a long hot shower to relax and fell asleep. That wasnt the last one, then about 2 weeks later, went out had one drink, and started panicking, was having a panic attack all night, went home, had to fight to go to sleep, was trippin all night long. The worst one i had was when i didnt sleep much the night b4 and had a long day, doing different projects that required a lot of physical activity, and had to leave the last one early, i was panicking and almost fainted, had to drive all the way home panicking, and did not sleep that night, had hot flashes and heart beat was racing, was so scared. Usually when these attacks happen, i think im sleepy, or have had sum kind of energy stippulant, and my body is trying to tell me it cant take it any more and goes into shock, of course, i panic and make it worse. I would feel anxiety, nervousness, rapi heart rate, sharp pains in my head, short of breath, helplessness, blurry vision, cant concentrate, hot flashes, burning in chest, thoughts of dying, insomnia, dry mouth and tingling in my body. I use to do drugs but have been clean for atleast 4 months, im thinking it might be "amphetamine psychosis" cuz i also thought i was going crazy, losing it mentally, and talking to myself, got irritated, and scared of things easily. still dont know what i have, im going to take this to a doctor and get checked up, maybe..i have aids...i dont know..i have to take control..so scared, but im living a healthy life from here on out. Please feel free to leave comments, i need to hear from people who know where im coming from or have any advice. Good health.

Finally people i can realte to . I am !8 years Old myself and recently been having these "panic attacks" ive had them for a while now msometimes they are not so bad but there are sometimes when i feel like im going to die . about a 2weeks ago I was going to bed when i started to feel very dizzy , i got up to see if it would go away but it only got worse my heart was pounding out of my chest and i felt like a couldnt breath . I called my aunt who was in the next room and told her to call the paramedics because i felt really bad , when they got here it had gone away in a matter of seconds and each time i have it it happens so fast , I can be sitting down relaxing when it starts , the seconds feel like lifelong minutes . I have been to the doctors had an egk , a heart ultrasound, blood tests , you name it and everything comes out fine but i stil feel like they are going to come back . I wil soon be on a heart moniter that will help my cardiologist give me a diagnoses and catch it when its actually happening , and make sure nothing wrong with my heart .
If this is any help to anyone my doc said that if you feel like your heart is racing , you should bare down , (like if you were trying to have a bowel movement) and also to try to cough , this will help cutt off the rapid heart beat . Try to relax panicking will only make it worse
Everyone should get this checked out if your having these problems , just to be safe .

hello! i am a 22 year old woman. i recently stopped smoking canibus and shortly after that, i will just be sitting there and all of a sudden get real hot and tingly all over and then my heart starts to race and pound through my chest. i get scared and it gets worse. i have been to the hospital about 3-4 times for these symtoms and by the time i get there, it has slowed down almost to normal. i have had a few EKG's, a few x-rays of the chest and i have been on a 24 hour heart monitor and currently am on a 30 day monitor. i have also had blood tests taken to test my tyroid. one minute it will be fine and the next minute, my thyroid comes back abnormal. does anyone have any suggestions???

I am 37 and have been experiencing a constant pounding and sometimes racing heart with shortness of breath for the past 8+ years. It is extremely exhausting! I have been diagnosed with a number of different things but haven't found anything to totally cure it. The one thing that has probably helped the most is taking a low dose of Metoprolol. It is a beta blocker that is usually prescribed for high blood pressure (mine is very low), but it helps block the effects of adrenaline on the heart.

One of the things I was told could be causing my problems is something called P.O.T.S. (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) and another is dysautonomia. (Potsplace.com offers information on these) I read an article online about I.S.T. (Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia) which sounds most like my symptoms though. Several years ago I was told I had generalized anxiety disorder, but that never seemed to sit right with me. I tried Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, and Xanax but found no relief from the pounding heart. (The only thing the SSRIs did was make my thinking really foggy - Xanax completely wiped me out) I have had EKGs, ECGs, holter monitors, etc... over the years. They never showed any problems with my heart. This past year though my primary doctor told me that the pumping ability of my heart (systolic) has diminished substantially as a result of the years of palpitations. At that point he put me on the Metoprolol, which has helped much more than SSRIs; but unfortunately hasn't stopped the pounding. I wish I could offer more here, but continue to look for answers as well.

I just don't accept that everyone has an anxiety disorder. In my opinion, anxiety is not just the result of a "chemical imbalance". I think it is a catch-all label when doctors don't know what's wrong with someone. I truly think that anxiety is a symptom of something else going on in the body, whether it is a lack of an enzyme or a defiency or another physical problem yet to be discovered. Our bodies react to problems by trying to compensate in different ways. I am going to continue to search for answers and pray that we all find them.

Oh yeah, one more thing, throughout this entire time I have had thyroid problems as well. Initially hyperthyroidism and now hypothyroidism. I have questioned the correlation there as well.

Indeed, I know this topic is a bit old, but I've recently developed anxiety. It sort of came out of the blue for me. One day I was sitting in psychology class and I started to experience hot flash like feelings, almost like a quick oncoming fever. I didn't think too much of it. That night I went out to dinner and suddenly it seemed like things started to stretch, like they went out of balance. It freaked me out. Needless to say I bugged and my heart went off 1,000 mph. I got up, went outside and walked around to chill out. It worked. A week later I had another panic attack episode but then I was good for a month. Then over the course of a few days I developed pressure on my forehead. One night I got this stabbing feeling in my head and it scared me senseless. I'd try to go to sleep but each time I'd about to drift off I'd jerk back awake. Eventually I did get to sleep. I went to the doctor and he said it was a sinus infection. I took doxycycline and it help a bit until I ran out. The sinus thing came back and I felt horrible. At night when I would rest my arms or legs or even entire body would jerk. I'd get these electric shock like sensations in my tongue too! One night even I freaked out and went to the ER. They told me it was all anxiety. Hard to believe. My blood pressure even shot up from it and I had to go on beta blockers. I'm only 21 and I am a university student. I have seasonal depression which is worst in the winter months. I get pressure that alters in locations in my head. I get neck tension now as well. Sometimes when I walk and I have the head pressure I get a clicking sound in my neck, it's like a very small pop like air is equaling out. I get pressure on my ears sometimes too. It's a big mess really. I believe a lot of it has just elevated itself. I was under the strong impression that I had a brain tumor, but this is about 3 months into it and I'm positive i'd have seizures, speech problems, issues with motor skils and etc by now. I'm now worrying about my heart and blood flow. The doctor is telling me I might have a thyroid or hormone issue. I had blood tests done and my thyroid was a bit elevated. But anyway, I just wanted to talk about it on here. It's nice to talk to people who have some of the same things I do. I feel a lot better and it does comfort me. I've found that anxiety just forces you under no control to think the worst. Even if you convince youself at some point that you're fine. The slightest sign of something out of whack makes you worry and that worrying adds on to your stress. It's a bad cycle.

Hi, I've been having basically the same things as most of you guys. But I am only 15. This has been going on severely for about a year but i've been passing out since I was 4. My problems are dizziness, headache, chest pain, leg weakness (right now I am in a wheelchair because I can't walk), and hyperventilation. I have had every singe test done possible. I also have a sinus tac which is where my heart goes very fast when I exercise. I get a heart-rate of 210 when I exercise. Recently I was in the ER for hyperventilation and even with lots of meds they found it very hard to stop me. I am slightly stressed but i am SURE that is not what is causing this. I have been diagnosed with severe migraines and am on medication for that. I don't know what to do next. I'm seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist and they say i have conversion disorder, an anxiety related problem. I seriously doubt that this is the problem because the problems came first, then the stress came. In the past 6 months I have also had mono and bronchitis with a cough lasting for 6 weeks. If anyone has any ideas that would be great, thanks.

A lot of your symptoms sounds like what I had 2 years ago. It is called SVT (Supra Ventricular Tachicardia) This is basically a short circuit in your heart where it goes round and round and not in one path. You can take medicine for this or do what I did and have an Eblasion whre they go in and zap out the extra cardiac cells. My heart would beat 200 beats per minute sometimes and I was dizzy constantly. My cardiologist found the problem by putting me on a heart monitor and everytime I had an episode I would record it. I hope this helps many of you.

I have been experiencing my heart racing for awhile now but just recently did it start getting worse. But as it got worse it came with more symptoms. Not only would my heart race but my chest on the left side gets this sharp pain in it, it becomes hard for me to breath, I get really hot and feel like I am sweating, my vision gets really blurry and i sometimes even black out. My mother keeps telling me it is anxiety but i believe it has to be something else. I am not stressed out and when this happens i am not thinking about anything that would stress me out.. It usually happens when i am up and active moving around playing with my dog or something. But then again sometimes it happens when i am laying in my bed or on the couch. But what really scared me is when it happened when I was driving lucking I was out on a back road getting ready to pull in to my drive way but before I did i stopped the car cause i couldn't see and i couldn't breath. What is wrong please help thank you :-(