Hi, I have problems with bad dents constitution and jaw closing. Now, I am supposed to undergo interoral vertical osteotomy. Is this a complicated procedure?

I believe that you have misspelled, it is intraoral vertical osteotomy. It is a kind of orthognathic surgery involveing the surgical manipulation of the elements of the facial skeleton. Tha aim of this surgery is to restore the proper anatomic and functional relationship in patients with dentofacial skeletal anomalies. Maxillofacial surgeon decides which method would be most convenient in a specific case. In specialized orinations it is a routine operation these days, but as we all know every surgical assistance bears a certain risk.

I have really bad TMJ and am getting this surgery done on the 13th of December, 2006. I am told it is common, and all that happens is they cut your jaw near the joint, lower your joint, place braces on your back teeth, and wire them shut for 3-4 weeks... depending on your recover. You also spend a night at the hospital, and need to drink shakes for this time.

If you would like, I can post again when I am back at it.

Amanda