I had a bilateral bunionectomy 5 days ago and have k wire or pins sticking out of my feet. Did anyone else have this type of Post op situation? how are the pins removed and what will the recovery be like. My neice had the same surgery last year, but did not have pins sticking out, only screws that stayed in the foot. I can't find anything on the internet describing this kind of surgery. It seems like most people have the screws and I need info. on the k wire recovery. Please help!

I had a bunionectomy on June 2nd, I also have a wire fixation! I don't really care either way, But I notice that the part of the wire that is exposed rubs on my foot even with gauze cushioning, a little uncomfatable but not unbearable. 2 weeks till the thing is taken out!! counting the days.

I had k-wires put in with my bunionectomy on 5/30- it is sticking out the top of my foot. that is really the only thing that bothers me. At my follow up appointment they took out tht stitches but said the wire won't come out for another 3 weeks, but that it's easier than the stitches. I can't wait for it to come out!

I had a bilateral bunionectomy on June 9th. I do have the metal sticking out of each foot. The rods are uncomfortable, and the end of the one in my left foot rubs or pokes my flesh quite often. This is very irritating! I had my stitches removed on the 21st and will have the rods removed on July 18th. I was told that they will just pull them out in the office. I was also told that the removal was not painful. They usually slide right out, but sometimes they hold snug in the bone and some pulling has to be done. Fortunately, there is supposedly no pain either way. I have never heard of the screws, but I think I would rather the rods simply because there is no foriegn object left remaining in the foot. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Robin

What is "K" wire. Is it the same as a rod?
This is all new to me.

So, how did the pin removal go? does it hurt? I'm having mine removed tomorrow and I'm scared to death.

I have a pin in my foot from bunion surgery and it will be removed next week. Does it hurt to have it removed --- Also, my big toe hurts if anything touches it --- has anyone else had this proiblem

I just had the pins removed last week after bunion and hammertoe surgery. I was really dreading it, but it really wasn't that bad.

Does it hurt to have the stitches taken out after bunion and hammer toe surgery? I am scheduled to have this done Tuesday and I am very afraid!

Just so ya all know, I had my right foot done in Dec. 2006. I had bunions on both sides of my right foot and my second toe had the "kwire" or pin sticking out. I had myself worked up to the point I was sick to think of them coming out. I begged to be put out for it. But when it came down to it, It didnt hurt at all. My stitches hurt more then the pin did. But now June 15th I had a bunionectomy done on my left foot(the big toe) and I have three pins sticking out of middle toes. The stitches are irrating me badly. THe pins I am counting the days til they come out. (Thursday the 29th) am I dreading it again...you betcha. My big toe still hurts alot, and yes it is normal. You have to figure your bone has been broken and a screw is holding it together but still its broke. My right foot was 6 weeks healing and about 16 weeks til the swelling stopped all together. But let me tell you after looking at my right foot all healed and better the outcome is awesome. Well worth the surgery.

I had bunion surgery when I was 14, and am now 33 and had surgery on three things in my one foot (bunion repaired with a metal rod sticking out, a hammer toe straightened with a rod, and a release of the nerve bundle surrounding the mortons neuroma). It is painfull when the big toe is bumped (I have 2 small children)!!!But I dont know when the rod will come out hopefully soon. I am unable to drive but also hope to soon!!!I also do not want this surgery repeated, so I have tried to maintain the post op suggestions...

I am scheduled for a bunionectomy w/ k wire fixation on Thursday. I'm 30 and pertified!! I don't want to see a wire sticking out of my foot. All I keep thinking is I 'll bump it on something and feel a needle sticking me. I've stocked up on movies, but I'm worried I will be bored out of my mind for the next 2 weeks. :'(

I hhad bunionectomy on Aug 9th. I'm supposed to get a surgical shoe on Wed. but I'm wondering how I am supposed to walk with the K wire still in . I swear I can feel in now anytime I change the position if my foot. I'm worried I will not be able to walk until they take the k-wire out which will be another 2 weeks. Anyone go through this?

Natalie

I had a left wrist fracture while ice skating with my daughter. I have pins sticking out of my wrist, and a fiberglass cast over it. We were also trying to find information on how the pins are removed, if it's painful, or if there is any anesthesia involved. So far we've just found something about the procedure, so I and my daughter thought about sharing it with everyone... hope it helps.

Ref:
iscp.ac.uk/documents/sDops/ortho_removal_k_wire.pdf

Procedure: Removal of K wire
Steps to be performed
Step
Description
1
Checks x-ray to confirm exact position of wire
2
Cleans the wire skin interface of any scabs or dried fluids
3
Gently moves the wire with the wire removing device by rotating it
4
Firmly pulls out the pin expeditiously
5
Presses on the wound to achieve haemostasis

Hi, i have had surgery on my 5th metacarpol in hand due to a break and also have a k-wire apparently hanging out of my knuckle. and yep its not fun. Dont know how im going to survive 6 weeks like it or if the kwire comes out sooner. like others scared as hell. Also at the moment i have half a cast im presuming thats cos of the wire. Hoping they dont do a full plaster once the wires out if it comes out sooner than 6 weeks...