Hi. I was recently diagnosed with polycystic liver, but I doubt that diagnosis because I had no symptoms at all (I went to check out my liver because I drink a lot). I will go for a second opinion, but want to found out something about the treatment options. Also, is there anybody who could tell me something more about PLD?

Hi. Polycystic liver disease is an inherited disorder. It is characterized by many cysts (various sizes) scattered throughout your liver. Your doc is probably right, many persons with PLD have no symptoms at all. Sometimes, abdominal discomfort from swelling of the liver may occur. In some cases, the disease appears to occur randomly. Most cases are inherited, but sometimes cysts are in association with the presence of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. 50% of the people with AD-PKD have liver cysts. About the treatment, you have radiologic-interventional methods to drain infected cysts. Resection can provide relief, but unroofing can`t. Liver transplantation is also one of the options (extreme).