For a few years now, I have had what seemed to be a knot in my upper back around my left shoulder-blade, like an inch from my spine. I would get a sharp pain there, and it felt like there was a knot, or something there. It would bother me on and off. I at first thought it might be the way I sat at my desk at work, but I always had fairly good posture. I'd sit up straight with my shoulder down and my neck over my shoulders and never hunched over. It would hurt on and off, but when it hurt it took forever to go away. For a while it hadn't bothered me recently. I started crossfit two months ago, and a couple weeks ago it started bothering me again, so I figured maybe it was because I was active and using that muscle again that it came back. This past week it has been unbearable. Thinking it was a knot, I have been rolling the heck out of it, which hurts like c**p, but I wanted it to go away. But it seems that whenever I would roll it, it would just hurt worse. I roll, and stretch, and rest, but it is persistant. Now, not only does it hurt, but quite frequently it starts tingling. The first time it tingled, it almost felt like there was a bug inside my shirt on that spot. Now when it tingles, it's almost like that pins and needles feeling when your foot falls asleep, and like there is a bug or something crawling in that area.. and it happens quite often, like ever minute or so. It doesn't necessarily hurt when it tingles, but it is quite uncomfortable, like it feels like something that shouldn't be happening, and I can't stand it. It makes me cringe and want to move around until it stops.. I'd almost rather have the pain that the tingles. It also itches every so often. The pain is still there as well, it's still the sharp, stabbing pain. I've also tried heating pads, and ice. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is it indeed a knot, or something else? Also, I have considered seeing a doctor about it, but was unsure as to what type of doctor to see--would I go to a chiropractor, or a physical therapist, or a massage therapist?

Hello jordannn,

You may have pulled a muscle some time back and it hasn't heeled properly.  The nerves passing through this tissue would have pressure on them which in turn can send pain messages back to the brain.  It's is also possible that you are pinching nerves coming off the spinal column.  I have developed some knots in my neck just from the way I tilt my head at my computer desk.  I sit up strait but unfortunately my neck is bent forward.  This puts great strain on my neck muscles and generates so much pain.  In fact, I can't even turn my head.  What I did was to go to a chiropractor.  I was placed on a vibration therapy to relax my muscles and later the chiropractor straightened my neck and back.  I walked out of there a brand new person. 

I have this exact same issue under my right shoulder blade. I've had it for about 6 years now, and it always starts tingling when I wash up, but also other times too. It started when I used to work in a cafe and washed up a lot there. I live in Indonesia now where massages are cheap so I have them every few weeks, but it still doesn't seem to go away. I know what you mean about almost preferring the pain than the horrible tingling tension. I try to use my knuckles to rub it and break up the knot, but no luck. Anyone else with ideas?

Did you ever figure out what it was? I have the EXACT same thing happening.

I have the exact same problem, I saw a chiropractor who mentioned something about a slipped rib, either way - he fixed me up but now (a year+ later) it’s back so I shall be returning to him