Lately towards the end of my run, or afterwards, my shin has hurt, but only my left shin. Could this be shin splints? Does anyone have any idea what could be causing these, because it only hurts in one shin. If anyone has an idea what this is, that would be really hepful, and it would also be nice if you had any ways to treat this.

How are your shoes mileage wise? Are you stretching your calves enogh to strengthen the shins?

can you describe the pain? Where on the shin does it hurt? next the the shin bone? on the bone? is it on the inside of the leg or outside? Does it hurt to touch that area or just ache? Doe it only hurt when running or all the time?

My shoes are fairly new, so that probably isn't the problem. I probably should stretch my calves more often, though. The pain is on the front of my leg, and it only hurts towards the end of my runs, and for a short while after I run, other than that I don't notice it. It does not hurt to touch it.

Everytime I have had shin splints they are very painful to the touch

Do you have any idea what else could be causing it?

My other thought was a stress fracture but you'd know it if you touched the spot too. 8O :? I suggest ice after runs and stretching the calves more.

What kind of surfaces are you running on?

If it's cement sidewalks, I'm gonna give you one of these :duh:

I've been running mostly on roads, or gravel paths lately. I have been putting ice on, and I'll start to stretch my calves more. Thanks for all the help!

I didn't want to start another thread about shin splints, so I'll ask my question here.

I just recently started running again, by recently I mean this past week. I ran on Tuesday, and I had shin splints on the outer side of my legs, then I rested on Wed and ran again on Thurs. Now I have them on my inner legs, but they seem to have healed on my outer legs.

My question is, do I wait until they are totally healed before running again, or do I go out there Tues morning and run again?

Thanks!

later

I've found that when I put on a little bit of weight I get shin splints. Maybe that could be it if nothing else.

I think i have shin splints, i had a slight pain on the front of my leg and at the back, but now its just at the front on the shin bone. Its not sore to touch so i dont think theres a fracture, its sore at the start of a run but then goes away but once i stop its like my foot has been hit with a hammer. Its then noticeably sore for the rest of the day, ive been rubbing cream into it but i dont know if its working, i have a fit test of 1.5 miles at a fast pace coming up on tuesday next, i didnt train yesterday and my fitness is lower than it should be due to a combination of a knee injury and exams. I need to train but dont want to aggrevate this too much, any advice than anyone has of course is absolutely greatly appreciated.

depends what kind of shin splints you have... there are 3 types: actual splintered bone (danger of stress fracture), torn muscles, muscles detaching from the shin bone. When I get them, they are torn muscle and only hurt badly towards the ends of runs. Rest them, and check your shoes are still good. Its worth getting a sports specialist to check them out to make sure you're not in danger of a stress fracture.

Try www.Albmaleaf.co.uk

go and se your Physiotherapist / sports therapist one way to check for a stress fracture is to run ultrasound at a very low intensity up along the area of pain, this must be done by a qualified therapist if the ultrasound reading alters significantly in one area this will suggest a stress fracture, the other suggestion is you could have what is called compartment syvdrome have a look on google for treatment and description of this problem