For the past 40 years I have had intense itching of the labia majora. Every few months an abcess like lesion will form mostly on the labia majora but occassionally on the minora & once toward the rectal area. These lesions when they occus are hard red, swollen & very painful. When they break they drain dark red blood & often have a white core which comes out. After they heal I am left with a lump where the lesion had been. I have seen a doctor about this but they didn't have any answers. Can you help ?

I've had the same thing, but minus the white thing, for 4 years. It's a cut between the labia minor and majora, and extends to the top above the clitoris. No idea what it is, can anyone help?

The most common cause of lesions btw the labia minor and majora is a yeast infection. It might seem like an odd symptom if you don't have itching, vaginal pain or abnormal discharge, but "yeast organisms release proteins that activate a local allergic response and perpetuate an environment that supports infection." Meaning, you get a rash, if that rash is in a fold of moist skin, it can look like a long superficial cut; the breakdown of the epithelium is a result of the fungal overgrowth.

Anyhow, it can't hurt to take acidophilus pills daily - and you might try some creams containing the active bacteria to apply to the area - if you're not sure what it is, taking acidophilus is a safer treatment option than applying anti-fungal creams, which could further irritate the area (i.e. if you have chronic dermatitis). Good luck.

The itching/tingling feeling prior to a blister that breaks are all the symptoms of genital herpes. It couldn't hurt to get checked.

I had the same problem a few years ago, and it turned out to be a staph infection. Very painful, very annoying, but also very treatable. Has your doctor crossed that off the list of possibilities?

Your response is merely a factor of a non-educated guess, you have no right to be diagnosing someone with an STD, if you have no education in the field of medical study than don't diagnose someone with something as severe as genital herpes... it's critical, and personal as well as very offensive.... shame one you!!!!

If it was herpes, don't u think her doctor would of pick that up?

I myself have had itching for the past 10 years or so. I have been tested for STD'S and they don't show positive. They always say it is a bacterial infection or yeast infection.  I don't see me having a bacterial or yeast infection ongoing for 10 plus years!!! I have very small intervals that it doesn't itch but not as often as I would like!! It seems to be worse during the hotter months and when I am on my period. I am like you and wish that they would find out what the heck is going on!! I would just like some relief!!

The shame is surely on you for falsely accusing them of diagnosing anyone with herpes. All they said was it was a possibility. I am grateful for honest people like them who are willing to come out and say the truth tho it may be hard to swallow. I appreciate knowing all the risks i may have and to be totally honest that was the first thing that came to my mind as well! It is a possibility not a diagnosis.

A possibility in your circumstance could be sweat and bacteria build up. Bacteria grows in warm dark and moist places. You mentioned the hotter months which caused me to believe it could be sweat and pads or tampons often have that affect on me. I might try that myself.

Possibly a type of yeast infection an or Herpes Type 2 - both of which are very common and may have passed to us via our asymptomatic partner.  Must be diagnosed with a blood test as swab may be inconclusive.  Treatable with the right strength of meds and discomfort can be relieved by Sits baths in lukewarm water, Betadine solution on cotton pads and pack them in there, and plain yogurt (I kid you not) packed in there.  pH changes as you age also complicate this and can make vaginal intercourse uncomfortable.  Use a really good silicone lube during sex.