Please help! I've just turned 18 and have been sexually active for about a year and a half now. Since about the age of 16 have had occasional cases of thrush, which usually clear up within a few days with prescribed cream. I also had been diagnosed with a very small and minor abscess on my right labia minora which also cleared with antibiotics within days. However, a few nights ago I had really intense itching during the night on my right labia majora. Being half asleep, i scratched thinking nothing of it. However, I woke with really tiny bumps along my labia majora. I had these before weeks previous, and they went away after a day or two of being really itchy. While this was going on, My left labia minora started to itch and became swollen so I went to see a doctor. She told me I had thrush on the left, and herpes on the right! She was surprised because herpes suggests a lot of pain, yet I was in none, plus these tiny bumps are barely visible and there is no way I could have genital herpes! I've only been with one guy, and although we have had unprotected sex many times, he is tested and clear of all STDS including herpes. I also haven't ever shared any towel with anyone and I'm completely stressed out by the possibility of herpes. Could my doctor be wrong?

Health Guru

Hi. Without actually being able to see it's very hard to say as you can get very simular bumps with yeast infections but they don't break not like herpes do, did you doctor just in by looking at them and saying they was herpes or did she take a blood test as well to confirm you are a carrier of the virus? If you in to Google and type in vaginal yeast infection bumps then go to images and the same for genital herpes women then you can compare what your look like. Hope this helps you :-)

Thank you, I wasn't aware that bumps could appear with yeast infections and will look at those. And she simply looked down there and said it was herpes and thrush. She took two swabs, but said they may not make it to the lab cause it was last thing on a friday afternoon. She just gave me antibiotics that I also cannot get till monday, but I don't want to take anything until I'm completely sure what I have.

Health Guru

Your welcome and I hope you get things sorted not soon :-)

Health Guru

Sorted out soon

I hope so too, and thanks again, you've really put my mind at ease :)