It's here at last.

Today I got the rail car ready.
This evening my wife and I washed the Tow car ---- a white 78 Chrysler New Yorker that looks like new.
We also washed the rail car and tomorrow morning we're off to North Conway NH.
Sunday morning at 8:00 am we leave Redstone on the Maine Central rails heading for Crawford's Notch and on to Whitefield NH, I hope.

On Tuesday I had coffee with the guy who's running the show and he wasn't sure if we would go on up to Whitefield. We talked it over and I think I convinced him to do it. If we aren't going to clear the switch on our way back, before the evening train comes up, we can wait on a siding for it to pass, then continue back down. He was afraid a couple of the guys might not like it. He said he expects about 30 to 40 cars. I told him we aren't in the political arena where two complainers get to spoil it for all the rest. I think he got my point.

If you're going to be in the White Mountains this weekend our entourage of little cars should be at the old Crawford's Notch rail station around 11:30 am Sunday.

That sounds like an awful lot of fun! I hope that you have a great weekend. As for me, I'm actually staying at home and writing a little. I don't have any other plans beyond that. I know it's a little boring but since things are closed, I like to hunker down with my laptop and start working on a book. It should be a lot of fun. All my other friends went up to Maine, actually...

Hi njoynlife,

Can you tell us a little bit how was on the trip? Were you having a good time? Give us a little info about it.

Hi Dark-red, somehow I missed your post. I just now came across it.

We went up to Conway on Saturday and spent the night in a motel near the place where we got on the rails. Mapquest showed the motel in two different locations and neither of them were anywhere close to where it actually is. My Magellan GPS didn't accept the street address for it, so it was worthless. When we got to Conway I called the motel to ask for directions but the guy who runs it sounded Asian and I had trouble understanding him. He didn't know any of the landmarks I described in the area so I kept on driving, looking for the motel. I figured I had passed it so I turned around and went back several miles and as I was turning around again he called me. He still couldn't figure out where I was but when I mentioned the business where I turned the first time he got all excited. He was about 50 feet up the road from their parking lot. So I knew exactly where to go, finally.

While we were settling into the room my phone rang. It was my 43 year old son. He and his wife were in the mountains for the weekend and he saw my car in the motel yard on his way by. They came back and we all went out to eat and I showed them where we were getting onto the rails. Then we spent a few hours in the motel room.

The next morning we got on the rails with 19 other cars and headed out. The cop who was there at our set on point is a member of our club. He couldn't bring his rail car because he had to work three double shifts over the weekend. We went by the Mountain Junction switch and then backed all the cars down a few miles into the North Conway station of the Conway Scenic Rail Road where all the tiny bladders found relief. After they were all done we headed north. As we left I noticed the girl two cars behind me hooking up the guy behind her. He's from my town and he had taken his car to a local Onan dealer the week before for a tune up. Many of the cars including mine have Onan engines. His was not running well. When we arrived at the Crawford's Notch station we were met by my son and his wife.

We got clearance to go on to Fabyan's Crossing where we stopped to buy lunch at a store on the highway. From there we got cleared to continue on up to the airport road in Whitefield. The guy in front of me , who was in back of me after we reversed direction, was having trouble with his engine so we hooked up the tow bar and I towed him back. He's a real nice guy. Retired AF pilot. His last plane was a C130 and talking with guys who knew him in the AF, he was the best pilot they knew.

When we got back to Crawford's it's down hill from there so we unhooked the tow bar. When we got to level ground near the end I lost sight of him and I backed up to find him. He was just getting hooked to the guy behind him who shoved him the rest of the way.

We all had a great time and there were no major problems. Towing someone or getting towed is a normal occurence on these rides.
My wife was absolutely thrilled with the ride. Finally, after 43 years, I've found something to do that she wants to join me in because she really likes it.

Last week the guy from my town went back to the Onan dealer and found out the guy who tuned his car wasn't working there any more. The owner was very apologetic and he redid the job himself.

He went on a run in Cape Cod this past weekend. I stayed home because it didn't seem worth the cost to me. Saturday was only 14 miles one way and Sunday was a few more for a total of less than 70 miles over two days. You have to stay over night at least one night and probably two unless you like getting up at midnight to drive down there for Saturday morning. I can only imagine what a motel room on the Cape costs and then there's the Bourne Bridge. Google "Bridge at Bourne" and watch the Youtube video for a terrific description of that experience.

Three of us had coffee this afternoon, he wasn't among us. His car was just as bad over the weekend at Cape Cod and the guy I had coffee with had to tow him all the way. I think it was probably a good thing he didn't come to coffee. We are planning to go to our regular tracks Thursday. I don't know if he will be there, but I don't want to be the one who calls him.

Go Pats!!!!
1 and 0 on the way to 16/0 again.
This time it's going to be 19/0.
Hey ya gotta believe!!!!

Hi njoynlife,
It seams that you are really enjoying. You had a good time.
You are saying that he was a pilot in Lockheed C-130 Hercules? That is a very good airplane. I saw some pictures of him and the deck inside, and it seams pretty amazing.
Well I hope that you will give as an update about your experience after the Thursday.

The Thursday ride is complete and I have some video of a bear cub up a tree.

There is a pine tree about 4 feet from the rails on our right that someone put some signs on, so we stopped to see what they were. The first car was right beside the tree and didn't see the bears until we started hollering.

There were two cubs, apparently at the base of the tree, when we came along. One ran across the tracks to our left in front of the lead car and into the woods. The other one ran up the tree. We all got out and took many photos of it. Later the cub that ran into the woods crossed the tracks some distance behind us so I guess mama must have been over there in the swamp. We must have watched the one in the tree for 15 or 20 minutes.

I just downloaded my photos to the computer and found they are all pretty poor due to the light from the sky because I was looking up.

I connected my video camera to the TV to look at the video. It came out much better than the still photos, in part because I know where the backlight button is on the video camera, and because I was able to zoom in much closer, thereby eliminating a lot of bright sky. I expect I will be able to strip a good still from the video after I get it on my hard drive.

My wife is thrilled. You don't get to see them critters up close very often.

I just checked the email list from the club and one guy who normally goes with us is looking for cars to give rides at railfans day on Saturday at the Conway Scenic Railway. He had some MT14s lined up but they all backed out for different reasons. Mt14s can carry 3 plus the driver, my MT19 can only carry one plus me. He's down to asking for anyone with a MT19. It means getting up at 4 in the morning to drive up there, but I feel like I should do it. He's responsible for us being able to have that great ride two weeks ago.

Where did your friend go in Cape Cod? I like to go up there for vacation up to Truro sometimes. The views are incredible and it's pretty reasonable too.

Well it is all up to you. But if he is responsible for that ride two weeks ago, then it would be nice of you to offer him your ride.
At least you got the video. Well try to make the best of the the pictures.
If you decide to go for the weekend I'm hoping for a new story in Monday. :-)

you are a writter?? :o

wow finaly i got one,so how many hve you written,how old are you m asking cz writters r mostly old xperienced ones..