Does anyone here have problems with traveling?

My dog hates it! None of my friends who own dogs have this type of problems. Their dogs love to travel, especially by car. They just put their heads through the window and they are good to go.

My dog on the other hand hates cars and when he sees me taking my car keys (they have an unusual fluffy ball attached to them, that’s how he recognizes them) he becomes very nervous.. I need to take him for a long ride soon, does anyone have a good idea on how to calm him before it?

Hey.

I am still having this problem. My Boo doesn’t want to travel so I give up from this :/ because I just don’t know how to deal with it.

My friend told me some tips. This didn’t helped my dog at all but maybe it will be different in your case.

She told me that I should prepare my dog before you pack the car. Some simple items such as laundry or fresh air may help calm your dog down.

If nothing works you should see your vet and ask for some medication that can help him calm down.

I am still trying to find the best solution for my dog lol :)

I have heard that it is good to have something in the car that will relax him. It can be a specific smell or a specific music that you have noticed he likes.

You know what is very relaxing when it comes to both human and animals- lavender. Maybe some fresh lavender will help him to release the anxiety. And also try having in the car something he likes. It can be his favourite toy or his favourite blanket.

And try giving him treats while travelling by car, that way he will associate the car with something good, something he enjoys.

It is recommended to play some relaxing music, it can be Beethoven or maybe Mozart. Some newest studies have shown that classical music has a relaxing effect on dogs.

Not sure if it’s good to give him treats while driving tough. It can be bad for his stomach, you don’t want him to start throwing up in the middle of the ride.

Maybe the best you can do is to invite someone to go with you so he is not alone while you drive.

If it is possible for someone else to drive while you are with him, that’s even better.

Hello. Mia, dogs are generally stressed when they need to travel somewhere especially when they need to go in the car. Maybe they are feeling claustrophobic because they are used to have a freedom and they can’t have freedom in your car, right? My dog had this problem in the beginning but not anymore. Here is what you can do. Put some of his favorite toys in the car a couple of days before you decide to go to the trip. Leave your car open. Maybe he will refuse at the beginning but very soon he will go in this car to take his toys. Maybe he will stay there to play with them. I agree that you should play some relaxing music. Talk to him during the drive. It can help you and your dog.

Hi guys.

I have exactly the same issue with my puppy. He is a little bit sick lately, nothing serious thanks God. When I want to take him to the vet he didn’t want to get in the car. I was surprised a little bit. I didn’t know why and found this topic! Is this really possible?

I don’t remember that my sister had this problem with her dog. At all.

I can tell you that I am glad because I found this site so I will definitely try with some relaxing music.Or with toys. I don't know :/

Thank you!

I had no idea that there are some dogs who don’t like to be driven.

My dog is extremely attached to me and when we are outside there is no way anyone can get her separated from me. They have tried giving her food and everything, she follows them, but as soon as she loses me from her sight she starts running around and searching for me.

She is panicking if she can’t find me for longer than 10 seconds. But when it comes to cars, she is totally crazy. It practically enough for someone to leave the door of a car opened and she will run towards the car hoping she can climb in. She loves the cars.

Maybe you should try to let someone else to drive and you can cuddle with  the dog the whole time.

Dealing with car problems is easy, just every time when you are driving a car and your dog is with you, stop by a local pet shop and buy many treats that he loves. Eventually he will associate treats with car rides.

Another thing you can do is to try having another pet in the car with you. It can be your friend’s dog or even better, a new dog whom he will find more interesting than the ride itself and he will forget to freak out.

As for the actions that you can perform before the ride, maybe a long cuddling massage would be helpful.

Hey there.
I believe that this is very easy to do. When you are dealing with it you are dealing with the first stress because your dog doesn’t have idea where is he going or where he is going to end up. I had this problem but it ended in three or four days. I was sitting in the car and I was calling him to join me. At first he was refusing to do it but very soon he came in the care. I was cuddling with my dog in the car. He realized that this is nothing bad so now I don’t have those problems. You need to find the best possible way to deal with it.