Hi, I would like you to explain to me what causes cow's milk intolerance in babies. I have an eighteen months old son who was diagnosed with this condition. The doctor told me a few things about it and that the formula has caused the problem, but I am very confused. Does this mean that my son will not be able to eat any kind of cow's milk products for the rest of his life?

Hi, cow's milk intolerance is very common in young babies. The allergic reaction is caused by milk proteins that your baby's immune system reacts to. This reaction is manifested through constipation, vomiting or diarrhea, but I am sure that you are already familiar with these symptoms. The intolerance can be to milk proteins or milk sugar lactose. If you didn't understand your son's doctor very well I would advise you to talk to him again about your son's intolerance to cow's milk because there are many products that contain milk proteins or lactose that I am positive you are not aware of. Milk proteins are known under names such as caseinate, casein, lactoalbumin and many others. While your son shows intolerance to cow's milk he will have to avoid products such as yogurt, ice cream and cheese. You see that there are many things that you will have to look after and that is why it is important that your doctor gives you all the necessary information. Fortunately, most children outgrow cow's milk intolerance towards milk proteins in early childhood, but lactose intolerance is a life long condition. However, because people with lactose intolerance are able to eat some amounts of dairy products, there is a great chance that your son will be able to eat all kinds of food soon enough.