For the last few years I have had a tender area in my left upper quadrant, and when I bend over in a particular way or get bumped in that area, my abdomen in that area becomes rock hard, (reminds me of a labor pain, just higher up and confined to one area) and the pain is excruciating, literally brings me to my knees. After a few minutes, the pain begins to ease and the tightness gradually diminishes. The pain and spasm, or whatever it is, has been increasing in frequency and severity, with the sore feeling never really completely disappearing. Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences? Thanks

I have the same problem just do a wrong turn and it will come on got a new job move a lot more bent down to do some cleaning and it hit me had it for years have no insurance been sore for two days I have a bumb on the side  were it happens friends are always asking me why just tell them i made that way Iam self consince of it would love to know what to do for it.gojo...........

Susan Verhille Angelucci 2 seconds ago Oh my god I am so happy I'm not crazy lol I have been having the same problem especially when I am also on toilet trying to insert tampon sorry I know tmi but I figure if we are honest it may help others even if it's embarrassing . It has also happened while trying to reach something while driving. The pain is so severe I can't move or breathe I had to quickly pull over to the side of the road as it is paralyzing!! It doesn't last for too long but it seems like an eternity when it is happening. Does anyone know of a medical reason for this?? _________________ 19 more posts and 19 more days to have signature active.

I have the same thing. No one seems to know what causes it.. Feels like muscle spasms and is one of the worst pains I have ever had. Like you it starts to ease after a few mins but during the spasm I am bent double in pain. Good luck with diagnoses.

I have the same thing! Feels like labor pains, can't sit up when its happening-gets worse, have to wait till it passes, like cramps in the legs-but happening more often. Don't know what to do

I also have this same problem! Extreme, instant pain in the left upper quadrant, after bending over. The pain is so intense I cannot even straighten out, I have to remain crouched until it passes.. Very scary at first.

I have been having the same issue for months now. It first started out with being diagnosed with colitis which is inflammation in my small intestine. Then an EGD showed I have stomach ulcers which cause burning under my left side of my ribcage. I have always had a tight cramping and burning sensation in my upper left quadrant that only seems to dissipate with a diet change. The moment I eat bad it hurts and lessens only while laying down but is tender. Recently after a year now I have been having what feels like Charlie horses in my upper quadrant. The tightness is horrible and only goes away when I take slow breaths and attempt to relax. It has happened when bending over and doing sit ups or any time I feel very tight in my upper quadrant. My GI thinks it is abdominal wall spasms and not intestinal related. They just did another EGD and now I have esophageal ulcers and he found my stomach is stiff and doesn't fully contract which is probably causing the tightness in my upper left quadrant. He is debating putting me on Buspar which is an antidepressant and anxiety med that I guess is used also to relax the stomach muscles. Hope it will help cuz I have dealt with these issues for 3 yrs now with no relief.

Wow, great info and i'm sorry you're having this difficulty. I, too, have been having all the symptoms these posts describe. I was diagnosed with a duodenal spasm in my 20s (i'm now 50) w/ a CAT scan and ingestion of a radiopaque dye solution that my physician stated may progress to ulcerative process. My spasms/pain is in both upper quadrants of my abdomen and will radiate into my back, especially on the left side. I've very sensitive to NSAIDS causing pain so I take them sparingly, but i did take an 800 mg Motrin last night and today i'm noticing an increase in my symptoms. "Abdominal wall spasms" is exactly how i would describe what i'm experiencing. Thanks, again, for a great post and hopefully your condition will improve!