My wife suffers from abdominal pain in upper right quadrant. She just had her first exam and the doctor could make right diagnose. Why is hard to diagnose what causes abdominal pain in upper right quadrant?

I don’t know what her medical history is, but symptoms, pain in upper right side of abdomen, may be caused by swelling of the liver. One of my friends had it. These and other symptoms may be caused by adult primary liver cancer too. It is very hard to be sure. I think the best think is to continue with exams and test and wait what will came up as diagnose.

I also had been dealing with a constant pain in my upper right quad area of my abdomen, a constant pressure for over a year. I went through ultra sounds, testing of the gall bladder onto meeting with an internist for additional testing and nothing. I finally went to my husbands chiropractor upon his insistance. He put me through several physical tests and concluded that he felt the problem was with my liver. He asked if I drank coffee (big time coffee lover) and wanted to know if I get a buzz from the caffeine, told him never. He gave me a tablet of A-F Beta Food to put on my tongue for about a minute, went back through the physical test and there was a huge change. He concluded that I have a dysfunctional liver and it is most likely gunked up by white food products. I thought to myself right! Sent me on my way with a bottle of the A-F Beta Food and told me to take 2 tablets a day. I began to really be aware of what I was eating prior to the onset of this pain and sure enough, whenever I ate white food products the pain would come on within about 10 minutes. After about 2 weeks of taking these pills, I can now eat white food products however, I have also chosen to change my eating habits not cosuming white flour products and no longer deal with this pain at all plus it's a much healthier and simple choice to make.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

it really is hard to diagnose this type of pain especially when there is less info given regarding the said complaint.there are many organs that are located in the right upper region of our abdomen, causing different characterization of pain and other comorbid signs and symptoms.i do think that honest coordination and follow-up with your doctor would help you out with your problem.that way he/she could prevent ordering labs unhelpful to answering your complaint.

I just read about the effects of eating white products. I don't think seeing the chiropractor or even getting the advice from the chiro is a good idea. I have this pain on and off and recently had an endo and colonoscopy done two weeks ago and my GI doctor found some inflammation in my small intestine and he suspects Crohn's disease but I still have to do further testing since there are areas of the intestine that the camera couldn't reach so I will be taking this pill that will take pictures of my intestinal wall as it travels down my digestive system. But I do agree about changing our eating habits if we do have abdominal issues and that should also be discussed with the GI doctor or a certified dietitian. I will update more information after my tests.

I have been going through this mess for since August of last year. I originally thought it was my gallbladder----nope, kidney stones----nope, irritable bowel-----nope. I have had 6 blood panels for liver function and they have all been normal. I recently went to a GI Dr. They believe I have a condition called N.A.S.H. Basically it is non alcoholic cirrohcis (forgive the spelling) I have a lot of fat on my liver and it is causing inflamation and possibly some scarring. It is also enlarged and that is what seems to be causing the pain. They say it is reversible. Losing weight and completely changing your eating habits. It is going to be a lifestyle change. If you do not get it under control you could cause permanant damage or even wind up with liver cancer. I dont know if this is something any of you could possilbe have but it is something to look into. Good luck

I have been dealing with this pain/ discomfort for over 4 years I have had CT scans ultrasounds EGD's, You name it I've had it. Had a Hida scan and had my galbladder out last year, Was diagnosed with Celiac disease and completely cut out Gluten from my diet yet the pain persists. It feels like there is something in there that does not belong and I have issues with heavy sneezes or quick bending that sets off a spazmatic response after severe tightening and pain. The area being affected is the upper right Quadrant and it started in an area literaly the size of a golf ball but now is the size of a softball. Seriously don't think I am crazy and other people can see the spazms when they happen because it jumps like a baby kicking (I know I haven't been pregnant for 4 years) so anyone who has been thru this and actually was successful in getting a diagnosis would be of great help. A

I recently have been having the same symptoms of extreme pain that something is not right in my upper right quad. right below and underneath my right rib cage. It feels like it is spasming or vibrating at times and no one can explain to me why. It is hard for me to sleep also because after an hour or two I wake up in terrible pain almost not able to breathe because the pain is so bad! I've tried antibiotics and went to the ER and had a CT of abd, ultrasound of abd, and all labs turned out normal except that I have an enlarged liver. Can that cause these unusually painful symptoms? I'm so tired of feeling this way and complaining to my loved ones about it and doctors not able to tell me what is wrong with me because all studies come out normal. Help me please...

I too am suffereing from pain just under my right rib cage which feels like something foreign is there. I also get bloated and the pain sometimes radiates to my back. It is driving me insane and I am terrified about what it might be. I have had it for about a year on and off, but the on is getting longer than the off. Countless hours googling has not helped. Sometimes I can actually feel something jutting out but then it seems to disappear again.

My twitches began for the first time back at the end of August for 2 days. Located on the right side, just below ribs, more centered. Went to the Dr. and she put me on Nexium and did blood work and an ultrasound - all normal. No issues or twitches for 2 months, then twitching starts up again in November. More steady and slightly uncomfortable this time. Sometimes when I run on my treadmill, I feel like there is something loose in there. I too, feel like there is a baby kicking periodically. After 2 weeks, put myself on Prilosec and went to Dr. again. This time she ordered up a CT scan. Again, the scan came back normal. She thinks it is a muscle deep twitch. I am just thankful that the tests came back normal...I can live with the occasional twitch. Seems to have simmered down here at the end of November.

Some things that may help -

Moderate excercise
drink plenty of water
Motrin
B vitamins, especially magnesium
less stress
less sugar

I hope that this helps someone. I have had pain in my side much like what has been mentioned. It is not gallbladder related as that had been checked early on. After years of being told by my family practice dr that it was "in my head" or a "minor muscle pull" I decided to mention it to my gyn. As I was scheduled for a laproscopic procedure due to endometriosis he said he would "check it out" while he was in there. When I woke up in recovery they told me that the delicate lining was wadded up under my rid cage where it had then suspended my uterus by adhesions and endometriosis lesions. Apparently this (the lining being wadded up) is somewhat common after an abdominal surgery or c-section. No one had ever told me THAT before. I say all of that to say, Trust your instincts. This did not show up well enough on ultra sound for them to dx it. (Though it showed my uterus was slightly off midline).

hi did u ever find out what it is? i ham having the same problem

I too am having this problem. It has gotten worse over 3 years, even though I have been gluten free. CT scan unremarkable. It is limiting my range of motion, and is painful and frightening. Have you found anything else out? Thanks.

I have been having this problem for a few months. Started out as spams only when I made movement like painting my toenails (the bending over and "squishing" whatever organ is right under my rib cage on the right side. I could feel the tightening, then it would relax. In the last several days it has become a more consistent "presence". I know that sound weird, it is not a pain, just a kind of pressure directly under my bottom right rib. Anyone have suggestions? I read about NASH earlier mentioned, that's a possibility. Are there any detox supplements that can help...and diet? I have read no grains, no sugar, no coffee...does that mean vegetables, fruit and bland chicken?

Please help if you can...kinda freaked out!

I have the exact same symptons! I have no idea what it is, but it does move and it can be on exertion also, bearing down and etc.