I have been suffering with Upper Left Side Pain for sometime now. This pain generates on the left side under the ribs and is slightly from the sternum and moves towards the side and occassional when intense to the back. I have had the following done;
Ultra Sound - when being examined and pass made across left side I was in considerable pain, the operator said, "stones, have you had stones before", "No" was the answer. Exam was ok.
Cat Scan - Again exam was okay, showed nothing except a cyst on my liver which I was told was nothing to worry about.
Colonoscopy - exam was okay showed nothing.
Still left side pain continued (from 1 - 10, 10 being high). Range of pain would vary from 2/3 to a 4 then up to a 6 and occassionally higher. Then five months ago I started to vomit after my morning cup of coffee with the pain intesifying. This continued sometimes through out the day and I started to loose weight. I eventually developed diarehha with continued symptoms of vomiting after eating anything, sharp pain left upper side, and the diarehha starting getting worse. Went to Dr several times and eventually he said I was dehydrated and to go to Hospital Emergency immediately. Further exams and Xray revealed nothing, except one Dr said there was a loop in my intestines by the spleen. Further test revealed I had C Difficille and was hospitalized for two weeks. During this tme I continued to have left side pain ranging from a 2 to a 4 and was occassionally throwing up. During this time I lost a total of 48 pounds. I have was seen by a GI during this time and I recouperated well and started to gain weight - 10 lbs. Then, all of a sudden the left side pain was back in its glory and I re-visited the Gi who said is was nothing but my ribs and suggested something about receiving a pain shot in the area, which has not been done as yet. I started again loosing my morning coffee and started to loose weight. I have now lost 11 lbs of the 10 lbs I put on of the original 48 I lost and I have been throwing up two or three times a day for the past week. In fact, I was sent to the Emergency Room from work as I was in acute left side pain approx a level 8/9. Again, they examined me, blood work, Xrays, Ultra Sound of Aorta, elctro cardiogram, urine. All test came back positive except the urine. They discharged me then went to regular doctor who was puzzled by all the goings on. Now, I am on medication for pain and neusea which really are not doing much. I am also now starting to experince some right side pain but most of the pain and discomfort are on the left hand side. I need to get this matter addressed as I have had so much time off work what with this and the C Difficllie that I am afraid I may lose my job.
I have shown up at work only to get sick at work and having to leave early because of either throwing up or pain or both. Any insight to this matter would be appreciated. I am due to return to my regular doctor in a few day and in the meantime I am getting no where with this problem

What happened? I have a similar story.  How are you feeling now?

My daughter has the same problem! She has been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and gall bladder disease... I don't know if this is connected but will get xrays tomorrow to see what's what...

Both son and daughter have like symptoms (left side pain weight fluctuation) both diagnosed with diverticulitis. I had like symptoms as well, after years of tests, many doctors, numerous hospital stays and countless trips to the ER I was finally referred to a surgery at Mayo. He determined I had a bowel obstructed and operated. Issue resolved.

I have had the exact same problem for the past 2 years.I too have lost almost 65 lbs. I go to the drs. and they find nothing. I've come to think that they don't believe me. My husband say's he is going to the dr's with me next time. Maybe they will believe him.
One dr.says one thing another says another.
I am just about ready to give up.
I'm 47, way to young to give up. But what other choice do I have?

I had a similar experience , it turn out to be intolerance to milk proteins. Apparently there are no tests to determine this though. How I found this out was on my own, I went to a health food store and talked to one staff and explained my situation , he said my body was toxic and needed a cleanse. I was skeptic but with the pain I was going thorough, I didn't care. I followed the plane and by the end I was no longer in pain. He told me when your down, whatever you eat and your stomach gets upset really fast, it your problem. Mine was milk. You should try that and see what happens. My cleanse was under $30.00 4 years ago.

I think you need to go to a multi specialty center such as Mayo. I did this and was disgnosed quickly. How do they know the cyst on the liver is irrelevant? Did they biopsy it? You need the best help available.

been through your gonna die long time ago, stay away from doctors , hep C G-T 1 -A.
High polyphenol food , simple proteins -whey,lethicin- , blessed enough to still be alive
the us med system is rigged to kill , stand and be counted as an american who will no longer
tolerate medical witchcraft-yes imagining is that good now ! polymorphic cells ! surgical robots
stop this antiquated civil war medicine- DEA over Doctors nonsense