I am 37, and have had several painful episodes that I attributed to an ulcer. It wasn't until a couple of months ago, when I became very ill during one of these attacks that my doctor said he thought it was my Gallbladder. I had several tests, including a HIDA Scan, but all were negative. About 5 days ago, my low back started to hurt a little bit and then 2 days later I was awakened at 3am with severe pain on my upper left side, chills and nausea. I saw my doctor the next day and he sent me straight to the hospital for tests. They were inconclusive, except for slight dilation of the common bile duct, and now he wants another HIDA scan. I am still very ill. I cannot eat without becoming sick, and I am very frustrated. The pain feels like I've had the wind knocked out of me and I can't catch my breath.
It seems very odd to me that my pain is on the left side. Could it have to do with my pancreas? I feel like the doctors aren't really paying attention to that, and I just want to feel better. They gave me Vicodin for pain, which I don't like at all. I don't want painkillers, I just want whatever is wrong with me to to be fixed? Anybody's help would be great!

Don't give up. Go to a Gastroenterologist and get another HIDA scan. Also insist on an ERCP! Tell the doctor you are not giving up until he does something. If he doesn't, go to another GI doctor. I had to insist and now the GB is out. The attacks are gone. (now I have to have the stint removed from the bile duct, that they put in before the GB removal) Since I was on heart meds, they didn't want to remove the GB until necessary. - It's done.

I wanted to respond and suggest that you try clear liquid diet for a day or so and see if that helps with the pain. If so you might want to ask you doc to test your pancreatic enzymes. If the pain is severe try to get blood work done while you have the pain. When I had pancreatitus it was frustrating because I would often not get to the doc until the pain was gone -- and the enzyme levels were normal again. Sometimes you have to be pushy with your doc to get the proper care/tests. I went for years mis diagnosed and under diagnosed because I just listened to my careless ex-doc when he said I had IBS even tho I knew instinctively something more was wrong. Luckily I got to the right doc who did listen.

my husband is also a 37 year old male with the exact same pain and symptoms you are having. We have been through HIDA scans, small bowel follow through, catscans with dye, ultrasounds, blood work, and stress test on his heart. Just one week ago he had his Gall bladder removed and his skin color does look better but he is still having the left upper quadrant pain and nausea very bad. He is like you he is sick of being sick. This week we are going back to the doctor and we are going to suggest checking his kidneys and pancreas. I see it has been a while since you posted this question, so if you have found out any new information on your condition we would much appreciate your reply. thank you
angel

My son is 31 years old. He has been having similar symtoms for a couple of months now. We were blaming it on stress at first. He and his wife are expecting their first child and they have had to relocate for their jobs to a new state. He has been having bad pain on his lower right side. He has had an ultrasound, blood work, a ct scan with dye. They all came back normal with a slightly high white blood count. Then he had a HIDA scan. It showed that the gallbladder was not working. He saw a surgeon but he wasn't convinced. He wants to run another HIDA scan from his office. My son has had some relief for a couple of days but then it starts in again. Now, he is having chest, back and neck pain. He hesitates to go back to the surgeon for another test but he is sick of feeling bad. Were any of you having neck pain with your gall bladder attacks? He hasn't had nausea with his attacks up to this point really isn't always after he eats.

I am a 31 year old women.I have and still do have pain evrywhere. in my neck,my upper right side of my chest,under my right side under my shouder,between my shoulders and sometimes I feel like I cant breath.MyGB stopped working and the pain is horrible.I cant eat sometimes and all I want to do is sleep.My white cells were also up and I will be getting my GB out on 6/27/07.I am a little scared,but I know I should be better when it is out.I also had tests done.IT took them awhile before they found out anything.They just kept on saying it was abdominal pain.But they were wrong.I kept going back and all I wanted was to feel better too.I dont like the docs.but I hope when it is done I will feel no more pain. 8-|

It seems from reading these posts, talking to others and to the doctors, and from personal experience that if it quacks like a duck, it is likely a duck, yet it takes months and sometimes years to get a correct gallbladder diganosis. Doctors are reading test results like the HIDA scan that seem normal while the patient is writhing in pain in front of them and they tell you nothing is wrong. I asked the doctor what he would do if he did not have the luxury of tests, given the symptoms, and he said "take the gallbladder out". So they are treating the charts and not the patient! Evidence based medicine is so much bull - doctors spend years and years going to medical school and end up as nothing more than mechanics and technicians - they no longer practice medicine or listen to their patients. Computer tests rule even if the patient is dying in front of them.

I have been having pain in my upper left quadrant for about 4 month. Iniatial blood work showed a higher protein level but follow-up blood work was normal. I have had a cat scan, sonogram & EDG..all showing normal. The pain is still there. It is sharp below my ribs in front. The back, also under my ribs, feels bruised, like I have been punched and hurts all the time. My doctor has prescribed vicadin which helps with the pain but is not finding the root cause. Help! What is wrong?

I am in the same boat as you. Mine only gets better when I lay flat on my back. Sitting or standing feels like a sharp vic grip is on my ULQ. No one will give any answers but give pain med's, pepsid, nexium etc. nothing is working and I dont want to take pain meds, dont want that stuff.

Okay so i am having these problems too. im only 20 and i have two kids. i do smoke and this has been going on for 3 months now. i think it will go away then it comes back. it hurts and im scared when it happens...the pain is sharp and i cry. im so helpless when it happens. i havent been to the doctors ive been rading up and everyone says theyre not doing anything...
i feel like printing out this page and showing it to them and demanding help. what should i do?

Seems like were all in the same boat. I've had pain in my upper right and left quadrant for over three weeks now. Nausea, dehydration, abdominal pain.

I've had Chest X-Ray, CT Scan, MRI, Stool sample, Abdomen sonogram, endoscopy which was done this past Wed.

They biopsied me for H. Pylori and Barretts Esophagus as well. Reseach H. Pylori which is a bacterial bug you get in your stomach that can cause Peptic Ulcers which can lead to stomach cancer.

Anybody think thats what I've got?

Hello: I'm 30 years old, been having this pain in my lower left side, often the pain comes then after I release gas, it hurts to touch when the pain is there. I don't know if it is my appendix? pancreaus? or my gallblatter.... I don't have health insurance right now so I don't know what to do!

I have been having pains in my right side like near my abdomen, and I would get so sick I couldn't keep nothing down, and the pains would be so bad sometimes I would crawl on the floor, crying. I went to the hospital everytime I've had it cause I would be dehytrated from not being able to keep nothing down, the first night it happend I went to the ER and they kept me over night then the next morning they gave me a ultrasound but it came back normal. Well I kept having the pains and vomitting, and they said to keep coming back when it would happen again so I would, well they gave me a hida scan and couple days later my doctor called and said I HAVE to get my gallbladder out, so they sent me to a surgeon. He said that my gallbladder has completly stopped, so I am going in for surgery on December 10th. But I'm not sure what would be wrong since you said it's on your left side

I think that you have some kidney-stoney, trying to move downwards towards the bladder. Nausea, pain, etc. I had the same.
Must drink lots of water to get rid of them.
Please TALK TO AN urologist good luck.

WOW, what a year for all of us?!

I began having severe pains in my intestinal tract and my stomach 2 yrs ago.. A Nexium a day helped, so I went on about my life... this past Summer (07), the Nexium did zilch, so, after days in bed, light food diets and a heating pad as my constant companion, I went back to the Dr.. XRAYS showed nothing unusual, except the dam kidney stones (can't surgically remove), I was 'fine.' So, the Dr. upped my Nexium to 2/day and I felt great till October, when, I started having pain in a specific area on my left, just under the last rib... dull, bothersome.. now the pain in my gut and stomach is breaking through with the pills!!

I go to the gastroenterologist on 1/7.. I know I'm going to need an EGD but b/c of the lower pain, I'm thinking colonoscopy as well, to r/o diverticulosis. I'm 46, diabetic and worried sick.. I am 'hoping' I have an ulcer. Someone told me the pains in my gut could be from a stomach ulcer, but not sure.

My kidney stone pains, when they dropped, were on either side and It was too painful to sit, stand or even cry. I managed through them the first time, in 45 min, no drugs.. I thought I was dying.. the second time I had vicodin and took 1.. in either event, it felt to me like what I THINK an ovarian rupture would feel like.

Aging sux.

Amberngriffinco
amber_n_ griff at yahoo dot com