By bedtime every night I am experiencing spasms in the upper right abdominal quadrant -- basically just below the right breast and along the edge of the ribcage. I had my gallbladder removed 4 years ago so it's not gallstones. At times it actually feels the same as having a baby moving around. I'm 56 and had a partial hysterectomy at age 35 so it's not pregnancy.

I went to my family doctor who felt around but did not do a pelvic exam. He told me to do some stretching exercises to open up my ribcage area. I've also put on some extra weight the last few years -- I'm 5' 3" and weigh 130 pounds (up from 110 pounds a decade ago). I'm wondering if the extra weight around the middle could be a factor.

I almost feel as if my abdomen doesn't have enough room for my organs and they're creeping upward as the day progresses. I can only get comfortable by lying flat.

I don't have any real problems with gas or flatulence though sometimes I do experience a bit of mild heartburn but it usually goes away on its own.

Any idea what might be going on?

I am experiencing the EXACT same sensation....I can even feel the spasms from the outside of my abdomen, and so can my husband. It really does feel like a baby moving about. I too am 57, had a hysterectomy, had my gallbladder removed 1 year ago also. I am a diabetic, type1, and I also have autoimmune hepatitis.
What the heck is this??? ?

I have had the exact same symptoms and it turned out to be a gas pocket. Monitor and keep a log of the foods you are eating during the day that might be causing the gas. I'll bet you come up with the answer yourself!

I know exactly what you mean; and you can actually see the spasm movement. I've had this on and off for years; but now it's more frequent. It can come on when I'm driving which can be dangerous or when I cough. I'm very athletic and a retired trainer, and I don't know what to do. I guess I should see a doctor My age is 74.

Im 30 and this happens to me as well. My tubes are tied and my gallbladder was removed when I was 27. Im very active and only mildly over weight at 130 (5'2'') Im curently waiting on tests for celiac disease. If it turns out that I have a gluten allergy Im hoping the diet change will stop the spasms. Ill keep you posted.

I have the same thing and I have had My gallbladder out in sept of 2012. Tubes tied in 1990. Had every test imaginable. Including the labs for Ciliac. Got my Results today...negative. I seem to have the spasms when I am active. I can lay flat and they stop. It seems there are no answers.

Sounds like you might be or have developed a gluten sensitivity or Gluten allergy (celiac).

Symptoms leading up to full Allergy and/or Celaic disease include weight gain(aka inflammation of the the lower intestine)usually around stomach area(swelling).

Undiagnosed can lead to other problems such as Type 1 diabetes and Crohns.

Testing is very easy and only requires a drop of blood. You can buy this test on Amazon for a hassle free experience at home( results usually within 3 days).

I'm Gluten Allergic and initially self diagnosed. 6 years ago Doctor's just refused to test for Gluten. We now have more options for self discovery.