I started having upper right quadrant pain in my abdomen 3 days ago. 2 days ago, I woke up to find it had spread around my flank to my back. I waited another day, hoping the pain would subside, but it only got worse. On top of that, when I am in a sitting position, it feels like "something is in the way" on my right side.

I finally went to the ER yesterday afternoon. They did a pregnancy test, which was negative. Urinalysis, which was negative. Pelvic exam, everything was normal. CT scan of abdomen, showed no kidney stones or anything unusual. Complete Blood Count, was done, but I am unaware of the results. I was given pain medicine and a muscle relaxed, which has done nothing, and sent home. The pain has continues and increased over the last 24 hours. I also have noticed I have decreased bowl movement and decrease in appetite.

Brief medical history: I am 25 years old, 5'4, 115 lbs, I have been diagnosed with IBS and diverticulotis, and am on several medications to control those disorders. My intestines and colon have been fine throughout this, no cramping, constipation, diarrhea, or blood in stool during this episode. I have not done anything to injury the area nor have I had any blunt trauma. I am not a heavy drinker, maybe one or two drinks a week, however I am a smoker and am on oral birth control pills.

I am at a loss of what to do and still in extreme pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Based on what you describe, it does sound like you may possibly have a gallstone. You do not fit the usual profile since you are young and not overweight, but given your symptoms and when you learn more about your bloodwork ( barring any infections) gallstones do fit the location of the pain. Gallstones also would not show on a scan, a dye is used during surgery to show them on x ray in most cases. I hope this helps you.

I would second that