What can you tell me about stages of Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease? Who is at the risk getting this disease? I have a case in family. They noticed that child was limpimg during the play; they took him to check him and found out about this terrible disease. I need some info, this is new for me.

There are 4 stages of Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. First takes about 6-2 months: femoral head becomes dense with possible fracture of supporting bone, in second: fragmentation and reabsorption of bone, takes one year or more; third: reossification when new bone has regrown and fourth healing, when new bone reshapes. Phase 3 and 4 may go on for many years. There are some risk factors, identified as possible links include children who are small for their age and are extremely active. It is found more often in Asians, Eskimos, and Whites, with a much lower incidence found in Australian aboriginals, Native American, Polynesians and Blacks.