When I was a child I broke my foot (well, my heal, to be precise) and had to go to foot surgery. I remember it was frightening and how I wasn’t able to walk for three months. Well, few months ago I broke my foot again. It was a very small fracture, almost invisible on the X - ray picture so the doctors somehow mist it until it began to hurt too much and to swell. My bone is fractured in several places and there will be two surgeries. The first will remove parts of the bone which remained there after my first surgery (yes, some parts were not removed; I can’t understand how and why did that happen). Some time after that the second surgery will be performed and the doctor will put in some screws. I’m aware that all this will be extremely painful and disturbing. Is there anyone with some tips for surviving foot surgery? I appreciate any suggestion because I’m scared to death. I know it’s not an open heart surgery, but still...

I realise what you are going through - mine started as a regular heel surgery but turned into a nightmare. Basically, there is nothing you can do, really. There will be pain and there is nothing you can do about it. One of the stupidest things I did during my recovery treatment was to ignore the antibiotics therapy. After the surgery your foot gets infected (of course, it doesn’t have to get infected, but that’s usually the way things go, unfortunately) and you must take antibiotics. I ignored my doctor’s instructions and ended up with osteomyelitis - do not repeat the same mistake. After the surgery do not “try out” your foot until you are allowed to weight it and put pressure on it. Do not experiment since that may cause pain and swelling and jeopardise the recovery. After they remove screws, pins and other stuff from your foot do not avoid physical therapy - it really helps. It is not difficult, you just move the foot backward and forward or rotate it etc. Very useful thing, I recommend it. That’s all I can say - after three months of recovery and another three months of very careful handling with my foot I’m finally all right. Apart from reoccurring osteomyelitis - but at least it doesn’t hurt that much and there are no moving restrictions. Good luck with your foot surgery.

I had a foot fracture and a fragmented bone, had surgery on October 15, 2007 and now have a swollen foot every night after my desk job. My day starts at 6am as I have to drive my daughter to the bus stop by 6:40. Has anyone got any tips on this horrible swelling. I sit most of the day at work and only walk to bathroom breaks and lunch. I have tried bags of frozen peas in the evening with my foot elevated. Now depression is setting in. It's been three weeks since surgery; four weeks of hell since the fracture. :-(

I was scared too before my foot surgery so I wanted to share a success story and some tips for foot surgery recovery that people shared with me or that I discovered.
My story:
There were 3 parts to my surgery: a bunionectomy that involved fracturing the big toe bone and putting in 2 screws, the 2nd metatarsal bone was fractured and a pin put in place that will take a year and a half to dissolve and the neuroma between the 2nd and 3rd toes was removed. At the first follow-up appointment 3 days after the surgery, the orthopedic surgeon who did the work said that my foot wasn’t even that swollen and that I had been taking such good care of it that I wouldn’t need antibiotics. (You may find antibiotics helpful though and your healthcare practitioner may recommend them.) He told me to continue to baby my foot. At 2 weeks and 2 days after the surgery, the x-rays didn’t even show fracture lines.

These are the most significant tips I followed for recovering after foot surgery:
1. Follow the icing schedule of 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off to minimize swelling, bruising and pain. There will still be some, but not as much.
2. Get plenty of fresh air; if possible 10-15 minutes of sunlight to stimulate healing vitamin D, plus it’s a good mood lifter; eat healthy; with your healthcare practitioner’s approval, consider supplements for improved circulation, infection-prevention, immunity-enhancing and pain-reduction.
3. To fend off depression, be realistic about the timeline for recovery: when you’ll be able to walk in the weight bearing boot (if you’ll be using it), when you’ll be able to walk without the weight bearing boot (my doctor recommended Crocs, they were the only shoe I could fit my slightly swollen foot in), when swelling will go down, when discoloration will go away when your foot or feet are down. And have an upbeat, even humorous attitude. I looked for the least bit of progress, like when I could make it to the other side of the house on the knee scooter and when the dark stitch marks began to disappear and all the above-mentioned timeline “milestones.” When my stitches were removed, I thought, ”Yey, no more Frankenstein foot!” When I was given permission to begin washing my foot, I thought, “No more red, dry beef jerky foot!”

Hope this is helpful and inspiring as others accounts were for me.

at last some positive attitude! 12 days since surgery foot broken 2places after fall. screws and plates was done by ortopeed and tommorrow for first time will se my foot and get into air boot thing! strangely the swelling only start from yesterday? 11th day could there be something wrong? is swelling common? left foot hurt as well but no broken bones only ligaments but with times it gets blue on the on side and dissapear and come again? i have to talk to myself on and on stay calm, positive but is not easy!

I would definitely contact your orthopedic doctor right away, especially regarding the swelling that started.  It's good you'll be seeing your doctor today.  Did the orthopedic doctor recommend icing the area and/or NSAIDs (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) such as Ibuprophen, Aspirin, etc. for the swelling and keeping your foot, that had the surgery, elevated?  If you're doing all of the previously mentioned things, I would be concerned that the swelling that just recently started could be an infection.  Are you taking antibiotics and following any after-surgery cleaning recommendations?  I had to use a skin-safe disinfectant wet wipe (not to be confused with disinfectant wet wipes to clean surfaces other than skin, like for furniture) to keep the area around the surgery clean, after the bandages were removed.  It was over 3 weeks before all of my stitches were removed.

The blue on one side of your left foot, disappearing and coming back, is mysterious to me.  Definitely ask your orthopedic doctor about that.  I would have notes with me when I visited my Doctor of Podiatric Medicine so I would remember to ask all of my questions.

I know it's hard to be patient, but you're only in the beginning stages of healing up.  This fact helped me to remember to be patient with the healing: 

Because the foot has to bear so much weight and disperse greater force than any other part of the body, it takes a significant amount of time to heal after certain surgeries.  The foot is an intricate structure containing 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles, and tendons that hold the structure together and allow it to move in a variety of ways.

I would like to know how you're doing if you don't mind sharing what your doctor says.  I hope that I can help to encourage you to keep a positive attitude.  I know it's hard.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyne thanks for reponse. My ortopeed seems not to be worry of the blue on my foot. it is apparantely the tissue damage that cause it when using the foot to help the broken one. i too take some xrays of both and is satisfied. I am in a airboot now but dont feel it is more comfortable but at least i could have a decent bath now. should i really sleep with it? he too said that i should only use mybradol for the pain and swelling is common. in 2 weeks time see him again,again xrays. i will start working forcfew hours daily from monday which will help with my general mood of boardom and helps the time get past! thank you so much for reply and time you spent.

Glad to hear everything is okay and that you'll be starting work again.  I would sleep with the air boot if that is what your doctor recommended.  I had to sleep with a boot that was heavy.  It wasn't an air boot, and I found it difficult to sleep in, but I wanted to make sure I didn't do anything to cause anymore pain in my foot, plus my big cat slept with me and I didn't want him to lean on my foot.  I used a big pillow under my foot for many months to keep my foot elevated.  One night, I woke up and discovered my cat was sound asleep under my foot in the heavy boot.  I guess I mistook him for my pillow!  Keep up the good attitude!  It really helps with the healing process.

Hi Carolyn
I also had a bunionectomy about 3 weeks ago now and am in an inflatable boot (just found out they cost $400!) and crutches. I was able to take 4 weeks off of work and was assuming I would not have crutches when returning. Now I wonder if I was too optimistic. Could I ask when you stopped using yours? I wear the boot to bed, have begun washing my foot which was a milestone, like you mentioned. The crutches would make work difficult while I would have opportunities to sit and put my foot up. Thanks for you reply.

I broke my foot in August. I still have it in a boot and have pain and swelling. I'm having surgery due to the fact it's not healing as well as it should. Also having an old ankle injury fixed and a bone cyst removed and filled with new bone..
It sounds like you aren't healing well. Have they done an MRI?