for the last few weeks, I've been having stomach cramping and bloating. After I eat, I usually feel so nauseous and uncomfortable that I load up on Pepto Bismol and anti-nauseants. I have noticed that it becomes worse and I get diarrhea after eating out at restaurants especially. I'm not sure if maybe I've become sensitive to something used in food processing, or if it's something else. It feels like my stomach is having a tough time digesting stuff, as sometimes, when I use the bathroom I see food that has not digested.
I haven't really changed my eating habits, or lifestyle, except that my job has me flying quite often now.
Any ideas?

I'd look into Celiac Disease. It sounds like you have several of the main symptoms for that (which is an allergy to gluten, the core ingredient in wheat, barley, malt, etc..). Just a suggestion

Sir,
I just wanted you to know that there are other people who suffer the same symptoms as you report. I am a medical doctor who experiences very severe spells of nausea, weakness, abdominal distention after eating. These feelings are associated with headache. Like you I try to modify my eating...eating slowly, chewing carefully, trying not to swallow air. This all started after a severe respiratory infection. It is not primarily psychological, but triggers a sense of doom or that something bad is going to happen. I find that it comes in spells, particularly later in the day. Sometimes breakfast and lunch are fine, but dinner is problematic. I had similar symptoms when I had giardia. Also I am wheat intolerant, though I did not have classic Celiac disease.
I have heard of some persons having viral induced gastoparesis, others may experience viral induced vagal neuropathy, and finally vagal neuropathy caused by Mycobacterium pseudotuberculosis is an entity which has recently been proposed for patients with Crohn's disease. God help people with this affliction.

My family has a few people with the same problem.. My sister suffer for year doctor after doctor who could not find anything wrong. She is in her 50's and just lost part of her intesdents. Now my son who is only 7 suffer the same illness. I took him to a doctor and also not much help.. But we have found some things that help... My son has to start his day with 4 to 6 egg whites, and a banana. I cook him a chicken no bone/ no skin chicken brest for lunch. He takes his lunch to school because no matter what he ate he would be sick with in the hour or sooner. Teacher not so understanding. He takes other snacks but he must eat something every 2 hours and at least every three hours have a protein. Tonight he went an hour later and he usually eats his raw nuts with lunch but had them for a snack and he is sick. The more it happens the fast it happens and the worse it is. We told the doctor and he said the protein slows his digestive system down and when he eat other food his body is busy with the protein. I also heard carbs start to digest in you mouth, and protein in you stomach. It has help alot but I can tell you he will not eat bread, pizza, spag. too many carb not enough protein. I don't know if this can help you but we are still trying to find a doctor who can help. My family is native americans and they say it would help if he would mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinigar. but he hate the falvor. and chew on a ginger hard candy we plan on trying this they say it calms the acid in you stomach. We are going to try the candy but need to go to a health store..

I've had a similar problem for many, many years. Shortly after eating (usually within 5-10 minutes), I would get very nauseated. This could last as long as half an hour.

The only thing I've found consistent is that it seems to be stress related. I experienced a sudden onset the day I graduated from college. The source of the stress (I think) is that I suddenly went from having a complete plan for what I was going to do, to having no idea what I was going to do next. The eat -> nausea condition lasted until I got a great job at a company with great potential. At that point, I could go back to eating anything, with absolutely no nausea. That position ended when the company folded; however, I quickly got a job at another company with great potential. Still, no eating problem. Then that company started facing financial difficulties, and layoffs began. Eating immediately began inducing nausea again.

I've considered, and experimented with, several possible food sensitivities.

With a history of type-2 diabetes in the family, insulin response is a definite possible cause and/or factor. When I'm in a higher-stress situation, I find that high-glycemic foods are much more likely to trigger nausea than low-glycemic foods. However, when I was in a low-stress condition, even high-glycemic foods had no effect. Also, when I'm in a high-stress condition, even foods with no sugars can trigger nausea. So, it doesn't seem to be diabetic/glycemic related.

Another common cause, mentioned above, is Celiac disease. I eliminated all gluten products from my diet for several weeks, and was still nauseated after eating (this was while I was in a high-stress condition). So, checking for gluten sensitivity is very important, it might not be the cause.

I have (other) symptoms of some food and/or environment allergy or sensitivity, but I haven't had any formal allergy testing done. At this point, I don't know if the allergy/sensitivity is related to my stress -> nausea condition or not.

While this doesn't answer your question, I hope it gives you a few ideas to explore.

I am so glad to hear I am not the only one suffering from these symptoms. Like the person above mentioned my eat - nausea condition seems to be related to stress. More recently when i have been under high levels of stress I have felt nauseus - more often than not for most of the day but particularly if I eat a large meal. When i am eating I have to stop when I begin to feel the first signs of feeling full/bloated or nauseus. This often means I can only eat half of my meal. I have had it suggested to me by a nutritionist to split my evening meal in to two sittings a few hours apart - while this is not always practical it does work.
Also as mentioned above if I eat a meal out I also suffer bouts of diahorrea. I was recently up every hour one night with diahorrea and twisted painful tummy after a meal out.

When eating my pain tends to start in my lower back/kidney area - spreads to my bowel area and then to my intestine area which feels tight and bloated and tense. I then normally feel like I may need to pass a bowel movement but my body is not ready yet. It is extremely uncomfortable and I often end up lying in bed flat on my back listening to calming music trying to calm myself down and relax - often the only release from this pain is to fall asleep. I can wake up maybe 2 hours later and the pain is gone.
I have wondered if this problem is 100% stress related or if it might be symptoms of some other medical problem.
I have been to my doctor with these symptoms and have been given Omeprazole tablets which help to reduce excess stomach acid which the doctor said could be making me feel sick. I am trialing these tablets for 2 weeks and returning to my doctor whether the tablets have helped or not - to review the problem. I do think that with doctors they will try to fob you off if they can. It sometimes takes trying different doctors within your practice to find one who is not quite so institutionalised and tainted by the system who still has some sympathy for the health of the general public - or going in there and demanding they investigate it further. We all have the right to medical services as we pay our NI contributions. I have only just learnt that Medical practices have a budget to spend each year on referrals - any further investigation needed after you have been referred will be charged to your practice - you can understand if they are close to the end of their budget why they may favour putting people off - it is terrible that politics affect the health services available to you.

I am aware that stress can have some very worrying and real physical effects on the body. For instance when the body is under stress it sends all resources and specific hormones to the muscles for the flight or fight response and diverts all its energies from the digestive system which then operates on a 'go-slow' basis. This would explain why digestion problems surface under times of stress.
I have been advised to eat bland foods when experiencing bouts of nausea and stomach ache. But there is always that part of you that worries that these symptoms may be because of some deeper issue - for instance I couldnt help but worry when I was laying awake all night with diahorrea that I might have bowel cancer or similar. The point is that Stress is a very dangerous thing - and should not be experienced in high excesses willingly. It causes very real chemical and physical changes within the body which lead to other problems. What you have to ask yourself is what is the price I am paying for: keeping this stressful job...staying in this hopeless marriage...selling my house and moving etc etc - as if the price is your good health I for one believe that it is not worth it. It is no good worrying about your health 5 years down the line when your stress symptoms have led to raised blood pressure, heart attack, cancer as it is often too late or compromises have to be made to your health - when they could have been prevented in the first place. All of this is easier said than done - believe me - as someone who has always had 2 jobs and packed as much as I could in to every hour of every day and always wanted more and the next big project I know full well what I am doing to myself - but we do need to realise that we are all ultimately choosing to live our lives this way.

I once attended a stress management course in which we were advised in ways to put your digestion system back on normal speed every day. We were advised before going to sleep at night to tighten and release in repetitive cycles the muscle groups of the body starting at the feet right the way up to your head and face. This is supposed to wake your digestive system up again. Also mental imagery is supposed to help. We were advised that every day we need to find 10 minutes or so to sit quietly with your eyes shut and imagine a peaceful scene. Ie walking along a beautiful beach. You have to engage all senses in your imagery - so smell the fresh warm air, feel the warm soft sand on your feet. Feel the warm breeze on your face. See the colourful lush palm trees and greenery around you. Hear the sea crashing on the beach. This is supposed to help with dispersing stress from the mind and will calm you and therefore hopefully help the stomach. Although it is sometimes hard to remember to do these things every day I quite often lie in bed before I go to sleep and tense and release my muscles - it does help you relax and ease in to sleep.

I hope some of my points can be useful to people. It is reassuring to know we are not alone in our suffering.

Hello, In addition to the above I wanted to add that my doctor has now recommended Fybogel with Mebeverine to me - not for its regular bowel movement effects but as it also helps with the painful stomach twisting and cramps of Irritable Bowel. Since taking this twice a day my stomach pains seem to have significantly reduced. Hope someone might find this advice useful? Also my doctor is putting me in for tests as my symptoms wake me at night which he said is the most telling symptom - will update when I find out the results from the test. Thanks

Everything u just described is what I have been going through for months and the doctors think I'm crazy .do u still have symptoms?

Check into Chrone's Disease....

Hello I realize that most of these post are older, so decided to reply to the most recent one. A few months back I was hit with the same symptoms, and prior to them considered myself a very healthy individual. I have studied alternative medicine for some time. I decided to make sure that what I was experiencing was not caused by hepatitis, cancer or any other "serious" illness. Once this was cleared I decided to go to work on my system. The one thing that I find to be almost completely absent in these posts, is the mention of any of these mysterious symptoms being caused by PARASITES. Though many doctors will not diagnose nor treat these living, life sucking monsters, they are present in as many as 90% of the human population at any given time. These symptoms are no doubt a digestive issue, and boy do they love the digestive system. The liver and intestines provide an ideal breeding ground for many species of parasite. A total life style dedication and proper treatment can rid the system of this garbage. You would be amazed at what kinds of yuck will exit the body after a 30 day parasite cleanse. Para-Gone is a great brand and truly works. Currently my daily intake looks like this: morning: Lemon water and 1 tbls olive leaf extract no food for an hour. At 8:00 a combination of collard greens,1 banana, 1 avacado, cilantro, kale, parsley, a little honey and cultured coconut milk. ( A great healing and power combination, helped me get past the nausea) can add a little flax oil if available. Afternoon: A large spinach salad with carrots and broccoli very little dressing with NO SUGAR Afternoon boost: A couple of apples and more lemon water. Evening: Usually another salad or whatever my lovely wife is kind enough to make. This is almost always a bean based meal. I also take in lots of lentils and black beans. I use only sea salt and little to no oil NO CANE SUGAR. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, so sweet fruit is as good as it gets. There are a score of herbs that are beneficial to the digestive system and bowel functions. Start to rid your body of the organisms that COULD be causing these problems. This works for me, and I truly hope it works for everybody else.

hi there, i have had this problem for 6 years on, i have been off food for 3 years, i have been put on them fortisip milkshake and ensure also some pain killers omparele and morphine and tradmol but noting works, if i eat anything chips curry etc or home food after 20 min my stomach pain get worse then i have to go toilets too but i been hospital and they cant find anything with endoscopy .. i have lost loads of weight and dr said milkshake will help me, its like i got eating disorder, even now i dont feel hungry and if i force my self to eat them my stomach start hurting dont know what to do now

All the responses to this post indicate that all our bodies are diseased in one way or another, or that the food we are ingesting when we eat out is 'tainted". I do not believe that is the case. I have suffered with this for the last few years. I believe it is either preservatives (such as fruit fresh) that restaurants use to keep fruit and lettuce and other foods that we eat pretty so that they do not turn brown or wilt. I also believe, in my case, that frying oils used by restaurants do the same thing to me. This NEVER happens when I eat at home so in my case it has got to be products that are being used to prepare my meals when I eat out. I have made different food choices but it does not make a difference. What I do not understand is the lack of information within the medical community. They tend to label it and give out pills to "fix' the problem.

Another quack with snake oil for sale.

Were you able to find anything else out? I am so discouraged and am emaciated due to the same symptoms..I am 44 & was healthy and this has been a new and terrible part of my year. Keeps me from work and laying with a heating pain with severe nausea within an 1/2- 8 hours following a couple bites of food etc.