Hello. I have a Dalmatian- Hugo. He is 6 years old. His father had 9 years when I had to euthanize him. It was a year ago.  I still don’t know exactly how did that happen. That whole day remained a blurred memory in my head and I still cannot accept the fact that my dog is gone. I remember the vet telling me that his kidneys were failing and that the best option was to euthanize him.

I’ve heard from some friends later that Dalmatians are prone to kidney problems.

I plan to get another Dalmatian puppy to keep my Hugo company.

I wanted to ask you do you know how can one prevent chronic kidney failure in dogs?

I think that kidney failure can be very often prevented by making sure that  the dog never gets in contact with toxic substances such as antifreeze, heavy metals, rat poison and other pesticides. Pay attention to common household medicines and also some foods and plants. Also try to limit the drugs, vaccines and surgical procedures. That way you will reduce the amount of toxins  that your dog’s liver and kidneys need to process. Kidney failure in your dog (or elderly dogs in general)  is probably the result of worn out organs. So  try to put less stress on your dog’s kidneys and they will function properly for a long time.

Hello :)

I have dog and a cat, but I am planning to get another dog as well.

I have all conditions to keep them together, to feed them, and I really want to give some new pet a home :)

There are a few thing that you can do to prevent chronic kidney failure in dogs, but you should know that not every cause of this is known.

Also, you can’t prevent it all the time.

But, you can do a lot of things to control it.

You should find the best way to keep your dog away from toxic substances. Also, you should feed your dog with balance diet program. 

Hello. The most important thing is to control your dog’s health all the time. Visiting the vet is something that you can do, and I still do believe that he is the only one who can help you realize does your dog have some kidney disease. But, you can prevent it by feeding your dog with quality diet program. Kidney diets, they usually contain less protein compared to other diets and the protein is high in quality. So, proteins must be in the diet because they are converted to waste products that kidney must remove in the urine. Try good diet program.

Well, the thing is animals who have problems with their kidneys usually do not show any symptoms until after the kidneys have been severely damaged. :/ That’s why vets often fail to save the dogs from kidney failure and cure them. 

It can take months to even years for the symptoms to occur.  That is why the best prevention would be to have your dog get annual blood tests. That way you can identify problems with kidney function at the earliest opportunity. This is really important because the vets can actually cure the dog if they reveal kidney problems on time. 

In my opinion there isn’t much you can do. I like to think that by feeding my dog a high-quality, nutritionally balanced diet I lower the risk of kidney disease. Of course, I make sure that he always has free access to fresh water. And I’ve eliminated all potential poisons and toxins from his surroundings. The ones that I could not eliminate (such as household cleaners, medication, plants and antifreeze)  I  keep out of his reach.

We should all pay special attention if our dogs are drinking more water and urinating in greater volume or more often than usual. If that happens we need to take them to a veterinarian immediately.

Hello.

Unfortunately, my dear – there is nothing that you can do to prevent this.It is chronic kidney failure and, I repeat, there is now way to prevent it.

I know, because I was trying to do this.

And, of course, I couldn’t make it :( My dog had this, so I needed to put him on some special, balanced diet program. He didn’t lke it, it was hard, and so we needed to fight with him to eat.

You can treat it, not prevent it, and visiting the vet during this issue is something that you need to do.

Well, I guess you could get some notebook and write down everything suspicious that happens to your dog. This includes even those small changes in your dog’s behavior, his appetite, energy and thirst level. If you ever noticed increased thirst and urination, don’t ignore it as if it’s nothing you should be concerned about. If there is even the slightest possibility that your dog is having some kidney problems, you need to see a vet and discuss the state of your dog’s health with him.That way you can control what’s happening while your dog is still in the grey zone (somewhere between health and illness).