Hey everyone. I’m sorry to bother you here, but I’m very sad and I need your help as fast as possible. My dog, my Yorkshire terrier, who is 2 years old now, was at the vet’s clinic yesterday and the vet said that he has renal failure. I wasn’t the one to take him to the vet because I had some obligations so I don’t know what else the vet said except for that thing: that my George has a problem with his kidneys. Can you tell me what can I expect to happen now? How should this be treated? How will my dog react to this treatment? Will he ever get better? Anything you know, please. I’d like to hear your prognosis for renal failure in dogs.

Hey you,

First of all, if you take good care of your dog, nothing bad is going to happen.

Secondly, you will need to take your dog for testing more often now when you know that he has renal failure. You have certain diets which help with kidney issues. That are mostly low-protein diets and that is why your dog needs regular controls: because at some point this diet will have to end because your George is going to need more proteins.

And, if only one kidney is failing, you could as well let your vet remove it surgically and end that problem. But be careful because there is a catch: if the other kidney starts to fail, your dog will be in a lot of trouble.

Hey you two, There is a special diet for this, it’s called Hills prescription diet c/d, I heard that it works like a charm. It’s true what Dalmatian Lover said about removing the kidney, that it can be removed in case it is only one kidney failing but I wouldn’t really suggest that just because of the fact that if the other kidney fails, your dog dies. This Hills diet that I mentioned is the best diet out there and it is known to help dogs who have renal failure. I think it works a lot better than these low-protein diets and is not dangerous at all as the low protein diet is. It is a better solution.

Hello. Don’t worry. With proper care your dog will be fine and he will live normal life like all other dogs. This is something that you and your dog actually can deal with. Of course with proper diagnosis and proper way of the treatment. I agree that diet is one of the main factors in this progress because no matter what, renal failure in dogs is something that you should not play with. Your vet needs to monitor your dog. I totally agree with Marc 34 – this diet program is definitely the best and it is very helpful. But you should consult your vet about this diet program.

Hey there everyone.

I have a dog with renal failure.

It is nothing bad. Actually I am used to this situation. I believe that everyone around me are. My pet is one lovely family member. So I will do anything for my dog. I am focused on his diet program especially on the ideal amount of protein to feed my dog.

This topic is really controversial/ Honestly, I don’t know why.

Prescription kidney diets are formulated with up to 18 percent of protein – on a dry matter basis for dogs. Protein restriction can lead to protein malnourish and loss of muscle mass with early prognosis but your dog will remain healthy.

Hello friends.

Unfortunately many dogs are diagnosed with renal failure. But they can live many greater, amazing years of course if they are managed properly.

But like with any disease there are some dogs that will not respond positively to the treatment.

In this case their condition can be worsen very soon.

That is why is very important to have your dog checked often and regular by your vet.

That is why you need to talk with your vet and ask him what is the best treatment for your dog.

Just don’t panic. That is very important. With a good treatment prognosis are good.

Hi there everyone,

I’ll say that you need to consult your vet about the diet. The diet plays the most important role here and it’s not the same for each dog. You vet knows your dog’s history, your dog’s condition and he will know best about the food that you should treat him with.

I heard about this Hills Prescription diet, too, it’s said that it works very good and people are generally satisfied with it. Your vet might have to change a thing or two in this diet, regarding your dog’s condition. This is why I recommend consulting the vet. And no worries, your dog is probably going be fine.

Hey guys,

I never liked kidney problems. I mean, it’s not like you can actually like it, it’s just that it is such a boring disease.

It’s not deadly if you find it out on time, but the treatment can sometimes be complicated, at least in the beginning. Even later, if there happen to be any complications, it’s going to take a lot of your time. I bet that your dog would be bored with it, too.

But anyway, you want what’s best for your dog so you really need to do your best here. It’s not going to be easy, but to be honest, if you love your dog enough, you might not even notice the effort that you put in order to make his life better.