i 've been reading alot of the posts about the injury and there's not much good news out there. I'm a SWAT officer who was unlucky enough to get my foot run over by a car. I was very fit to begin with and need to regain this asap to continue my job. I'm only 2 weeks from the op (4screws), no pain. I'm told 6 weeks in plaster, 6 weeks in boot then screws out in 9 months. Some posts say that to return to running, I need the screws out earlier rather than later. is this something I should insist on. And what is a realistic timescale for my foot to be able to attempt running ect. Let me know, please, and if there's any good stories of people returning to full health.

MrT, I don't know if you read the Lis Franc post from the guy in Omaha but sounds like he has done very well. The unfortunate part is, of course, the wait. His physician had recommended a very conservative return to weight bearing and functional activity. I seem to remember his post title including a time frame of something like "13 months." From my reading of posts on this site (and from my experience as a phsical therapist) allowing adequate time to heal is essential. Not to use scare tactics, but I think its worth considering the long-term outcomes and the success or lack of success with your recovery being largely based on what you choose to do or not to do now. I can, or at least think I will be able to empathize with you tomorrow after my first orthopedic MD visit. My injury was only this past Sunday. I am hoping for good news but do realize the potential for having a very long summer post-operatively myself!

%-)

search the internet for "good news" and lisfranc and you'll find a number of football players have recovered to play again. the key seems to be proper diagnosis, mobilizing surgery, up to months of elevation, more months off the foot...and gradual physical therapy. if you have one, do your best to set aside the previous life for a year, give your foot #1 priority, and you should be good to go again.

I had a full lisfranc dislocation and still have much pain after 21 months. I have found that shoes with rounded bottoms help very much in lessoning some of the pain of walking. Those shoes are the ones that are made to exercise you as you walk or simulate barefoot technology. The bottoms are very curved. I have several different brands and find when I use them, the pain is reduced substantially. I recommend anyone suffering from a Lisfranc give such shoes a try.

I was in the best shape of my life at 45, running 5k races with times of 20 minutes. Running 40 miles per week and teaching two kickboxing classes per week plus a very physical job. I was hit by a car when a man drifted off the road during a Saturday morning run. 2 Months later after complaining of pain and no one understanding why I visited a Podiatrist. Exrays showed I had a linsfranc fracture and needed immediate surgery. I was off of work/life for 7 mos. I returned to work in June. I teach my kickboxing classes with help when it comes to balancing without pain. I run approximately 5 miles per week in pain. I get up every morning with a severe limp and cannot get the old foot to work. Every step I take i feel. Will I ever be able to a pain free life? I would love to hear some positive stories of full recovery. Although, my podiatrist thought I would never run/teach again. I am back, but unfortunately not without pain. I am tougher than I look. LOL

MR. T, I hope you check this. I really do. Im also an officer and currently awaiting Linsfranc Surgery. Please if you can respond, Im curious to know how your recovery went. I would really appriciate if you could respond via this site.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have so many concerns regarding my ability to return to work full duty, with out being stuck behind a desk for the rest of my career.