I had surgery on July 26th and 2 screws were inserted - stitches removed 11 days later. In a black boot and wheelchair - no weight bearing allowed.

How soon will I be able to wear regular shoes and walk on 2 feet? Any insight would be greatly appreciated - and thank you!!!

Hi Charlieswife,

Welcome to our little "lisfranc club". I had my surgery in May of this year after having 11 screws, a plate, a bone graft and a gastroc recession. I am still currently in my CAM (black) boot. I was in a cast for about 3 months. I am in physical therapy now. It is coming slowly but surely.

Your orthopedic surgeon will be better able to tell you when you will start weight bearing. They usuallly want to make absolutely sure that the screws sufficiently "take" and that the bones are making progress. From what I went through and all I have heard, the weight bearing, when he starts it, goes from 25% to 50 % then 75% up to 100%.

It might be different with your doc though. I dont know. MAKE SURE that you do EXACTLY what he tells you to in your recovery. I know it can be difficcult, but please try to be patient. Your healing right depends on it, due to the sensitivity and rarity of this injury. Eventually, you will be able to walk on 2 feet, but again.....go by exactly what your doctor tells you to.

My injury was pretty extensive because of the way I fell, and the excessive bone sharding in my foot. I know how hard it is to be in the boot....trust me. I broke my foot when my husband was in Iraq in the 8th month of his deployment. They had to redcross him and send him home. We are all here, please let us know how you are, share your frustrations, ask any questions.

Many blessings to you,

Hizgrace

hey i just has surgery and got 2 screws and three wires on my right foot on jan. 24 2010. I was wondering how your doing bc i think we have similar stories......please it would be SOOO helpful thnx

Hi Lola,
How are you doing now? I had my surgery in 07' but this past year 09' August, I had surgery on my ankle because I did not realize that I had a hole in my ankle from the previous fall. They put 2 more screws in after they rebroke the ankle and put in a bone graft. I am doing well, though, just some aches sometimes stiffness, but seems to be well. I am hoping this will be the last as my foot looks like it has been through a war zone.
I have a total of 13 screws, 1 plate and 2 bone grafts. Interesting for falling off a curb.

Hizgrace