I'm age 35 and fell off a 4ft retaining wall on May 22, and landed squarely on my left foot. Fractured my 2nd metatarsel and all but one of my cuneiforms. Only the metatarsel injury showed up on standard x-ray. CT scan is what revealed the lisfranc injury--and luckily, the orthopod ordered it right away, so I never walked on it. I spent 2 weeks going thru denial, and getting 3 different opinions from 3 different orthopods, two very experienced "old school" guys and one doc right out of a foot fellowship. I had only a 1mm displacement, but all three docs recommended ORIF. There is a very small study that indicates primary fusion has a decent success rate. However, if you do not have any surgerical intervention with this type of injury (and believe me, this was not the answer I wanted!), you risk compromising the arch of your foot. The cuneiforms do not need to be that flexible (so, fusion is not necessarily a bad thing--and may be inevitable for some of us even with the ORIF...) but they must be stabilized so that your arch does not break down. If that happens, we're in even worse shape than we are now--which I know is very hard to believe....SO, I had the ORIF on June 14. Three screws on the inside, two gnarly incisions on the outside. I am now 3 weeks post-surgery--and close to 7 weeks since I last walked. I cannot even remember what it feels like to walk. I have a dull ache pretty much all the time, but it's maybe a 3 out of 10, so I can't complain about the pain. I begged to have my cast taken off yesterday at my check up (too early, but I will remain non-weight bearing and E-boot compliant for the next three weeks)...I was sure I would go truly crazy if I had to wear the cast for three more weeks. I needed a mental pick-me-up and to feel like I could see the light at the end of the tunnel by at least being able to "see" my foot again...if that makes any sense. I still have no confidence to walk but I am starting to rotate my ankle and wiggle my toes which also makes me feel like I am making progress...I was an athlete before this injury, and it is amazing how much my casted leg has "atrophied" already and how little my foot remembers about being a foot...Please write to share your experiences with me. I asked my doctor if there was a "Support Group" for people like me and he just chuckled and said I should see a psychiatrist...thanks...I feel like no one understands how frustrating this...breaking a bone is one thing, but to be NON-WEIGHT BEARING for so long is what ups the ante on this one..you need help with virtually everything....it is impossible to even go into a grocery store and buy a gallon of milk without help. I used to think I had empathy for people with disabilities and what a great person I was to hold doors open, etc...I had no idea--and still don't...at least our injury will heal eventually. I can't imagine going thru life like this with no hope of recovery. So I guess there's a silver lining for us. And, my temporary handi-cap permit does make life a little easier--if you don't have one, you should ask your doc ASAP...You'll never again think there are too many HC spots!...Going to the movies is one of my few pleasures and it's nice not to have to "crutch it" too far....Also, ask your friends/family to borrow their crutches...I have three pairs now that I put in strategic locations for getting in/out and up/down in my house...An office chair with wheels works amazingly well to scoot on if you have hard wood/ceramic tile floors...and you can even carry things from room to room on your lap! Ah, the little things!

I can totally sypathize! I am 19 and I am going through all the exact same things now. Well I've been going through them, I just got my cast off last Friday. My story was alot more drawn out. I hurt my RIGHT foot on March 1st playing Lacrosse. Immediately couldn't walk, lots of pain/swelling. Doctors couldn't figure anything out and so I went on crutches and off the foot for like a month. Finally after painfully walking off and on for a while late in April they figure out i needed surgery for a Lisfranc sprain/tear immediately. Back at square one. I should have had that surgery in the first place. So I got one screw and one incision on the top of my foot. Lots of pain meds(good stuff). I had a post op cast for a week and then a hard one. I had that for 5 weeks. Now I'm in a boot and not supposed to walk but start working on some weight bearing. I'm still recovering from the cast but I'm happy to see things finally move along. Probably the most annoying thing now is NOT DRIVING.

How has yours turned out? I also have a question, did you have any issues around driving and how was your foot with weight bearing and having the screws in?

Hey there...same thing happened to my foot...I was actually jumping on the trampoline doing flips etc....landed right on the top portion of my right foot on my toes and then fell back and pretty much folded my foot inhalf....immediately could not walk, felt faint, started sweating, nauseated...my foot swelled up about 4 times the size of my normal foot....while in emergency room the emerg doctor took x-rays and conferred with a few doctors and then advised me that I had a lisfranc fracture and would be admitted to the surgical ward immediately for surgery....I was admitted, stay at the hospital overnight...the following day my ortho surgeon came into the room and said he reviewed my x-rays, could not tell from the x-ray what was wrong with my foot....put a cast on my foot and sent me home with about 2 weeks supply of prescription painkillers......I was to return to the hospital the following week for a followup..I went home, kept my foot elevated, was on constant stream on painkillers(my foot is soooo sore)...finally the following day the pain became unbearable so I was taken back to emergency, the emerg doctor again expressed concerns because my foot was swelling more and more and I was losing movement in my toes. the emerg doctor ordered me a CAT scan and told me to come back a few days later for the results of the scan with my ortho surgeon.....
I returned a few days later...my surgeon came into the room, took a quick look at my foot...asked how my foot was feeling, I told him it was in severe pain ... ortho surgeon basically told me that I needed to keep the cast on longer, game me more prescription painkillers and was about to send me home when I mentioned the CAT scan...he went and looked at it, came back in the room in about 5 minutes and then advised me that I had numerous breaks in my foot but there was nothing he could do about them so he sent me home.....

Now I am extremely frustrated...like the others who have posted on here....I am in pain still, my foot is swollen and I cannot bear any weight on it at all....I have been researching the lisfranc fracture and am becomming concerned that my doctor is not taking things seriously enough at this point and I have no idea what to do now....my foot pretty much looks deformed and the pain is at times unbearable....

I am at the point where I think I am going to go to a different city for a 2nd opinion...I would rather be safe than sorry because Ive heard so many horror stories about untreated lisfranc fractures....

I totally sympathize with you guys though, I know what it feels like...I too cannot drive because its my right foot...I cant walk, its even hard to shower myself in the mornings because I am terrified of falling and doing more damage......hang in there! If you are in doubt of how things are progressing..my advise would be to get a 2nd opinion......everyone I have been talking to so far is telling me to speak to another doctor!