For about a two years now, when I go to the bathroom, I have been experiencing a long, clear, gooey, (snot-like) vaginal discharge. After urinating I will notice(feel) something that is dangling when I get ready to wipe. This only happens maybe every two or three months, and it just happens that one time and goes away. My OBY/GN cannot find anything wrong. I am 40 with no children. Pretty active and eat right. I am not taking any medications. I have asked other women who have not heard of anything like this before. I did have one woman say that it was gas coming out of my rectum. But this is coming from my vagina when I wipe. Is there something going on with my ovaries, or the lining of my uterus?? thanks.

If it is clear and stretchy and only happens for a few days each cycle it is most likely to be the mucous associated with ovulation. This discharge can be quite heavy but is normal

Yup, I agree - if it happens during the middle of your cycle for something like three to five days, it's most probably simply ovulatory discharge, or "fertile discharge". This looks raw like egg whites. As I have gotten older, it has become more pronounced, heavier. These discharge differences are interesting to observe but I don't think there is anything malicious about this type of discharge. If you notice it at a strange time, that might be because your cycle is changing, associated with the perimenopause. 

I have read that the gooey discharge is released from your body naturally to help semen travel and stay alive while trying to reach an egg

You are experiencing a bartholin cyst. It's a lubrication gland. Apparently it gets clogged once in a while. Sometimes they just get backed up and then clear themselves out. Keep an eye on this, if it gets infected you may need to have it cleaned out by a doctor.

@guest, you are so correct because that is what i have and my doctor explained it the same way. if it gets infected or enlarged they have to stick a needle in it to drain it. Very common in women.

I don't believe she's experiencing a bartholin's cyst situation. I have the similar thing pop up and it's always in relation to my ovulation. I confirmed it with my OBGyn. Usually just after I ovulate I have the same sorta thing happen and it's gone until the next month. Sometimes I won't have it at all but most months I do. I have it for like a couple of days and it goes away. She should chart her periods. Ovulation usually happens a week to 2 weeks after menses. Most who have Bartholin's cysts often have pain in relation to it and most often they make themselves known prior to starting a period. The pain is similar to feeling like you have a boil "down there". Those sometimes are also related to your cycle. I have had those also occasionally in the past and there is definitely a difference from those compared to just discharge. If she's not having pain and just a general discharge and the discharge isn't smelly, just sticky, "boogery" or stringy most likely it's just the normal body changes during ovulation taking place. For some reason if you haven't been sexually active just before this happens it tends to be thicker in consistency.

I don't think it's a bartholin cyst. I actually discovered the exact same thing today. I have been off birth control for about a month now, and right when i went to the bathroom, i discovered this long, clear, practically odorless discharge that I've never had before...first time having my period was 12, now 21. The more I read, the more it seems like an ovulation type thing, but it's odd that I'm getting it just now. I was on birth control since i was 14 (for acne reasons at first) and this is my first time off it.

It's not painful at all. just kinda awkward knowing that your vagina is hocking this stuff up.

I would suggest seeing a doctor.

I have this exact same thing happening to me but it doesn't go away. i have a 5 month old baby and after i healed from that i noticed this was happening to me. it happens all day long every day of the month. i thought it might be due to my menstrual cycle and ovulation but this doesn't go away. I will look into that cyst thing that some above person has mentioned. I just wanted to write and let the woman who started this know that she isn't alone if hers doesn't stop as well. 8-|

i have the exact same thing happen to me.....i masturbate almost every day...and then later in the day my panties will be very very watery and sometimes i will pull out a extremely long gooey and thick discharge.What is this? is it normal? is it because or masturbation?

this also happend to me had sex with my boyfriend on sunday and today is tuesday i was takeing a shower and when i was cleaning my self i feel this thick long kind of redis dischgar coming out. i was like omg he took the condom out but he didrnt it.i talk to my doctor and he told me its just a regular cycle dischger...

I have this same problem..it only happens a few times a month,i'll go to the bathroom and when i pull down my underwear, i'll have this long stringy gooey like disharge. i thought something is wrong with me but i dont kno. I've always wondered why? maybe its ovulation maybe its something serious..idk. but if anyone can find the right answer please let me know

This is exactly the same with me... But my sons 3 and almost 2 month...??

It is ovulation. I'm going through it this minute. It happens almost every month, a few weeks before my period. Totally normal, so nothing to stress about! (: