First, let me say that I am really not sure where to post this. Sometimes my symptoms seem to be gynocologically related, sometimes gastrointestinal, and sometimes renal in nature. I will try to summarize as best I can, however I have had these symptoms for almost 9 years and have seen alot of doctors, had alot of tests, and had several surgeries and I want to provide as much of that information as possible. I thank all of you in advance for any information/suggestions you may have for me. :D

I am a 29 year old female with increasing flank/pelvic symptoms on my LEFT side only. The symptoms started about 9 months after I gave birth to my middle son in 2001. I had a copper IUD (no hormones) placed about 6 weeks after I had my son and had it removed a few years later because I thought it may be the cause of my pain, despite my doctor's assurance that it wasn't. I began feeling pain in my lower pelvis (I guess about where my ovary would be) a few times per month. The pain was sharp and didn't seem to have any direct causes. At that point, I had two young children (they are only 12 months apart) and gave birth to both of them by C-Section. I passed it off as being ovulation pain or residual pain from my c-section scars since it wasn't debilitating and only affected me every couple of months, however it soon became a monthly occurrence and got much worse over the years. During one of my annual check-ups, I mentioned the pain to my doctor and he ordered an ultrasound and some blood/urine tests. Everything came back normal except for a little blood in my urine. He told me that my pain was likely due to scar tissue from my c-sections, or ovulation pain as I had originally suspected.

In Feb of 2004, I was diagnosed with kidney stones (which explained the blood in my urine), however they were on my RIGHT side, thus did not explain the pain on my left side. I had surgery to remove the stones at that point.

In October of 2005, I became pregnant with my 3rd child and gave birth to her by c-section in June of 2005. While I was pregnant, I had severe sciatic nerve pain and large vulvar varicose veins which were very painful. During that c-section, I also had a tubal ligation.

As the years passed, I noticed that the pain seemed to be spreading upwards and seemed to be at its worst during my period. During the course of 2 or 3 years, I had several ultrasounds, CT scans, blood tests, urine tests, etc, all of which came back normal. Since my existing OB/GYN didn't have any answers for me, I decided to get a second opinion. By 2008, the pain had spread all the way up to my upper left flank/kidney/lower ribs and had also spread down to around my pubic bone/hip bone area (sometimes the actual hip bone itself hurts too...it feels like a burning pain) At that point, the pain became a combination of a sharp, burning, tearing, throbbing kinds of pain and although it was at its worst during my period, I was feeling some variation of pain all month long.

In 2008, I saw a gastrointerologist and had an upper GI and a colonoscopy and all results were normal except for some internal hemorrhoids.

By the end of 2008, I found a doctor who was willing to do a dignostic laporascopy and also an endometrial ablation (he had also ordered several tests, all of which came back normal). My surgery was in January of 2009, and he diagnosed me with endometriosis (though there wasn't alot) and pelvic adhesions due to all of my c-sections. During the surgery, he did the ablation, and also removed the visible endometriosis and the adhesions. After the ablation, my periods did not return, which was expected. The month after my surgery, I was still experiencing debilitating pain. I waited a few months to see if it would improve, but it didn't so I opted to have a hysterectomy (uterus only) in May of 2009. My uterus was fused to my bladder by scar tissue, so more adhesions were removed during this sugery. After surgery - Pain STILL remained!!!

During the past 2 years or so, I have noticed that the pain gets really bad in my kidney area and all the way around to the front at what I would assume to be the bottom left side of my stomach and/or diaphram. It gets really bad after standing or sitting for long periods of time. To the point where I can't plan fun things with my kids, because I have to be able to sit or lay down after about 15 minutes of standing (I would never be able to stand in line at a theme park, and even taking them to the movies ends up being very painful for me) Some days I can barely walk...I am doubled over and nothing helps. I can honestly say that my pain level is at a 6 on most days, and probably a 9 or 10 for at least 10 days out of the month. In April of 2010, I had my left ovary removed in another attempt to resolve my issues, and he also removed new adhesions and one little endo spot on my cervix (which was not present at my last surgery) and once again, it did not work. At one point I was taking Lortab 10 for the pain and it only took away some of the pain, but not all and I stopped taking it after my ovary was removed because my dr said I didn't need it anymore (I feel like when I ask for pain meds, he thinks I am a pill head and doesn't take me seriously).

At this point I began to think that it had something to do with my kidney due to the severe kidney/back pain I was feeling in addition to all of the other pain. In May of 2010, I saw a urologist who ordered urine tests that returned normal results, but when I saw him again last month for my cystoscopy, the tests revealed small amounts of blood and protein. CT scan revealed that I have small kidney stones again, which explains the blood, but I don't know anything about why I would have protein in urine and he didn't seem to be concerned.

Also a new symptom is that my kidneys have begun to hurt really bad if I have urine in my bladder. Even if there isn't very much urine, my kidneys still hurt (on both sides) until I urinate and it seems to temporarily relieve the pain.

The newest symptom occurred today, and is what prompted me to generate this post...I discovered blood in my stool this afternoon. There was no blood on the toilet paper when I wiped, but there seemed to be streaks of blood in the stool. It was not bright red, but more of a darker red or maroon, and it was very noticeable, so it was more than just a little blood. I do experience mild constipation frequently, however not to the point where I am straining and I do not experience diarrhea at all.

Again, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place or not, especially since my pain seems to be cyclic in conjunction with my menstrual cycle, however since I don't have a uterus and only have one ovary, I am beginning to think that maybe its a coincidence and its either renal or gastrointestinal.

I am open to any suggestions!! I am just so tired of all these doctors telling me that everything is "normal". Everything is NOT normal, or I would not be in this much pain all the time, every day of my life, with no end in sight. I feel like they don't take me seriously after the tests come back normal and that I am just blown off. I want to do fun things with my kids, I want to feel normal again, I want to be able to stop thinking about this day in and day out and having to plan my day around it.

I feel like I am forgetting something...and I probably am...but this is ALOT of information and I can't express how much I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read it all and offer a response or suggestion.

Hi there!
I just read your story and can sympathize with you, as I have the same pain. I have not had the surgeries as mine is fairly new, only 6 months or so. I have had ultrasounds that revealed a few kidney stones, and just recently a CT scan which appears to be normal. My Urologist and my GP want me to bring copies of my scan results to the next doc appt this week so they can read them also and see if there is something that was overlooked. But after reading your post, I'm wondering if anything indeed will show up.

I am planning on fighting and seeing this through, and if my docs come up with something new that works, I will definitely let you know. Good luck, my heart goes out to you. It was sad reading your post and I wonder if I too will be going through the same thing with no answers. Kinda of a dismal outlook, but we're hangin' in there!

Please let me know if you get anywhere and I will do the same!

Hi colebrey,

This is amazing and sad. I thought I was the only one experiencing the exact same symptoms. I had partial uterus removed in Nov 2000 due to fibroid tumors. I just knew the pain would stop, but it did not. I spent the past 10 years getting worse. I had several CT scans, Xrays and MRIs. Saw GYN,Stomach doctors and Urogolist and couple of times there were blood in urine and spot on bladder, but biospy ruled out cancer or anything serious. The pain persisted. I still had ovaries so when I ovulated, I literally could not walk for days at a time. Its like my bones and nerves were rubbing together. And no pain meds helped. I was sucicidal for a while. I just had surgery this past April 2011 and when they opened me my organs had fused together. The surgery was 8.5 hours long and I was in hospital 16 days. The pain is WORSE now. I only have one ovary left because it is trapped. The nerve endings are upset all the time and basically they have sentenced to a life of pain and I am 47 years old. Thank God my children are adults and I don't work outside my home.

God help us!

Sherry

I'm so sorry you have been dealing with these symptoms for so long and without any answers! Since you mention that the symptoms appear to be cyclical in nature, and you do have one of your ovaries left, I am wondering whether it could be possible that you have endometriosis. In some instances, endometriosis does affect the urinary system including the kidneys. This is, in fact, a problem that can eventually lead to kidney loss. It can be hard to differentiate between back pain or kidney pain, but I am feeling this is something you may want to bring up with your doctor. Of course, if your doctor does not take you seriously, that is a sign you need a new doctor. 

While there are, no doubt, many possibilities of the root cause of your pain and associated symptons, any time you have blood in your stool, especially when it is dark, meaning it probably is not coming from a hemmoroid, you should have a stool culture performed as well as a colonoscopy to determine the presence of any polyps or other abnormal growths. While scar tissues (adhesions) occurring from endometriosis can land anywhere within your body cavity and cause pain, blood in the stool is serious and should be checked out . Polyps continue to grow unless they are removed, and can grow through the walls of your intestines.

I just now read your blog. How are yo feeling?

i too have severe kidney pain during my cycle. but have no kidney stones or other symptoms. i did have a tubal ablasion and dnc a couple years ago for the menstral pain which it did not fix. but i too am being told nothings wrong. Good luck all.

Could the deeper problem be something metabolic causing

all of these symptoms?  There has to be reasons why some people

create scar tissue, others don't.  Some people suffer with severe

pain, others don't.  Try researching information about MSM for pain

relief, diets that alleviate these issues, uric acid build up, etc.

Go deeper.

As i sit here on the train looking for answers myself to all the pain I finally feel normal knowing that I am not the only one suffering. For years I have seen doctors and like the rest of you they say nothing reassuring. I had my tubes removed 3 years ago and an ovary that was attached to a cyst the size of a grapefruit. But the pain is back and with a vengeance. I also go through the debilitating pain in my one ovary. Endometriosis was also diagnosed after one dr said I had nothing.
I have also experienced the my stomachs becomes distended and sensitive when my ovary hurts. The most reason symptom is pain when going to the bathroom.
I was looking for answers this morning. I am content knowing I am not the only one.

If anyone gets an answer please share. I am 37 and the thought of living in pain for the rest of my life is not acceptable.

EXCESSIVE FEBRIN CAUSES SCAR TISSUE, ADDHESSIONS- PROTEASE ENZYME THERAPY IS HELPING ME FEEL BETTER- I WAS DIAGNOISED WITH SCARRING IN MY KIDNEYS WITH BLOOD AND PROTEIN IN MY URINE- KEFIR FOR THE PROBIOTICS GET AT WHOLE FOODS-ORGANIC VEGETABLES AND FRUIT POWDER DAILY SHAKE- SO FAR TAKING ALL FOR A WEEK AND I HAVE LOST 6LBS FEEL BETTER, MORE ALERT AND LESS STOMACH PAIN-LESS STOMACH SWELLING - GO ONLINE AND LOOK UP ENZYME THERAPY

Hi there,
Im in tears reading this because i have they same symptoms. I havent had any serguries done. But ive been thru alot of exams for 6 months now. For most to hear theyre in Perfect condition would be a reason to be happy. For me its not. Not knowing the cause of my pain terrifies me. Ive seen urologist,gastroenterologist,ct scans,ultrasounds,colonoscopy and an endoscopy done. I cant stand for a prolonged period of time. Sometimes i can barely walk. I have to lay down for a good while for my pain to go away. In a way its a bit of a relief to see that im not the only one with this problem. That its happened before and i hope and pray everyday. The doctors find the problem. My kids are very little and theres so many things id like to do yet due to my problem. Im in bed most of the time. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I really hope they find whats ausing all this because i know how painful it is. And its very frustrating and dibilitating to come home with no results and still have this pain that wont go away. Once again i hope they find the problem soon. God bless you.

Okay a lot of your signs sounds just like my Aunt's.  She suffered for years convinced that she had some form of gynecological problem and even thought she had ovarian cancer.  She had been to numerous drs and had test after test run.  She finally was at her wits end and just happened to make an appt with an old country dr in a town close to ours.  He immediately told her it was her Gallbladder.  She had it removed about 3 years ago and no more pain.  Just a suggestion...

Hi
I am also having some of the symptoms you are having, I have terrible back pain which travels to my hip and lower stomach. I also noticed it lately is worse before my period but this has only been the last 6 months. before this it was more random. I also have had blood when I am trying to pass a stool but all that comes out is a lot of blood. I went to the doc today who has ordered an MRI but I feel like maybe I should have been haveing a clonoscopy? anyway how did you go as its know 2012 waht do you suggest I do? doctors just want to give me more painkillers and tell me to rest!

If you have Endometriosis this can affect more than you think! I had Right Flank pain for 2.5 years and was told I had kidney stones, what I actually had was a constricter Ureter (tube from kidey to bladder) which had been crushed by Endo adhesions. I had Hydronepherosis (fluid retention) in the kidney an had lost 15% function due to the delay. DO NOT keep suffereing, If your' on Facebook join up with Nancy's Endometriosis education and discussions group, it willl put you in touch with amazing women who are well educated in what this disease can do to you. I do hope you are able to find a Doc who is willing to listen to you and get this sorted out for you.

yes, I recently had kidney sparig surgery in October 2012. I am doing good except when I have the pains in my lower pelvic area. I discovered that I was taking direutics and multiple vitamins with 800 mg of Vitamin D, when interacted with the medication. Plus I asked for med for anxiety and it helped, because the blood pressure medication that I was taking along with the direutics and body going through surgery caused anxiety attacks. The doctor thank me for my honesty of admittng I was having anxiety attacks. One has to be honest with themselves, especially when you have gone through a lot of truma to the body. Most of the time you will not have to be on the medication for long.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I too, had a partial hysterectomy and five years later, I had to have a complete and now I was told I have scar tissue. i was also told that I had endometriosis whic I do agree can be very painful at times. I hope this will shed some light on what you are dealing with. God Bless!