Every couple of months I wake up with a terrible low abdominal pain, which feels like cramp, underneath my belly button which spans right across.
I also always get a lower back pain with it which reminds me of when i have my period but it's either been or due in a week or so, and im always regular so i know it's not that.
I've been to the doctors whilst in a lot of pain to be told that there was nothing wrong with me, even after they took a urine sample.
Please help!

Health Advisor
Have they ordered an ultrasound and performed a pelvic examination to see if there are some enlargements or ovarian masses. I read that gynecologists could actually feel cysts on ovaries just by performing a pelvic exam and when I asked my doctor, she said she couldn’t.

Anyway, what I am suspecting is ovarian cysts. They are more than likely to cause the pain in the lower abdomen as well as back pain, pain during sex, abdominal fullness and tenderness, sensitive breasts, irregular spotting and bleeding. You may not experience all of them but pain at the front and at the back is pretty much enough.

Another thing that could be causing lower abdominal pain and low back pain are kidney stones. When they are little, you may not even notice them and they may leave through urethra during urination without you even noticing. But if they get stuck somewhere on the way, or if they are very big, they may cause this pain along the way from kidney to the urethra.

Kidney stones can also be seen on the ultrasound.

I have been experiencing the exact same pain and the rest. I have undergone every test under the moon and nothing yet, Just had a pevic ultrasound and waiting for results. If you unsolve this mystery. please let me know.

Hi I just wanted to comment that the exact same thing happens to me. I feel this radiating tightness from my abdomen to my lower back, and it hurts to take deep breaths. i have had pelvic exams and urinary samples, and neither came up with anything helpful. if anyone knows what i should try next please help! this is very painful and discouraging. I have been doing PT for this pain but it still happens regularly. whould a spinal mri be useful? i can not live with this pain. thanks

I ahve been feeling the same pains but I also have a pain on my right side top of the rib. Plus on top of that I have been mestating every week and a half. I have had an ultrasound, x-ray, and bloodtest. I am suppose to find out on monday what is wrong. My doctor said it could be a number of things. Enlarged gallbladder, gallstones, adhesions, and last endomitrios. Hopefully someone will find something out and tell ud what they found.

I have had all of these symptoms. Fullness, pain in lower front and back on right side, missed periods. I had an ovarian cyst the size of a tangerine this last October, they had to go in and drain it. But I'm still having problems. I have had ultra sounds, pap exams, all kinds of blood work....all said I was fine. I ended up having an MRI done and found out that I have a bulging L-4 and L-5 vertibres and a small annular tear. With that now known, the doc's said that my pain doesn't sound like it's coming from there! So what the hell's going on? Sometimes, my pain is so severe that I throw up. The last Ultrasound I had done, which was about a month ago, said I have lots of little cysts all over the same ovary that I had surgery on. They just give me pain meds and send me home, but this NEVER goes away. This is my second month without a period!

you might want to look into changing your birth control if you have been on the same one for a while. Talk to your doc about any known problems with your birth control. I had the same cramping (even debilitating cramps and pain) into my third year on depo. The doc ordered all these expensive test, and suggested the same things- cysts,etc. But the tests found nothing. It turned out after being on Depo for so long, I had too much estrogen and my ovaries were cramping from it. Changed to the pill and all better.

Hello, I have had four episodes of extreme pain just this past week alone, strong pressure across my lower abdomen, and it makes my mid-lower back ache. I almost feel like throwing up cos the pain hurts so much, it woke me up last night. It hurts to walk, and sit down, the only position that feels all right is on my back with my knees up.

Eight years ago I had an ovarian cyst, had surgery, and my doc visits have been clean since. This pain gets worse, and reading these posts have helped me figure out what else it could be. I saw the doc yesterday, but he said he has "no" idea what it could be. I am waiting on a urine test to see if it is a uriniary infection (but it doesn't hurt to pee).

I am scared since I don't know what it could be. The doc ruled out cysts, pregnancy, etc. I am wondering if it is kidney stone related?? My dad has had kidney stones, and we have such similar health issues otherwise.

The one strange symptom, is that each of the four episodes of pain, have only occured at night!? Has anyone else had this happen too? I cannot figure out what is going on, I wondered if it could be severe gas, but now I just don't know!?

Can anyone shed light on this?? Thank you for reading and for your support.....

I have also been having the same symptons.I went to the doctor,they order an urine test.That came back with a trace of blood in urine.She said it sounded like a kidney stone but did not know for sure.But said I needed a pap smear to rule out cancer.All I know is that it hurts like crazy and feels like from the bottom of my rib cage to the hips is in a tight device.

I've read all these posts and I too experience some of the same symptoms - chronic pelvic pain (lasting almost a year now) and low back pain on the right side - sciatic pain that radiates down to my outer thigh, painful intercourse and worse pain the day after intercourse. Four drs. later I am going in on 3/7 to have a diagnostic laparoscopy to look for endometriosis - cysts, adhesions, scar tissue, etc. I am certain this is what it is (average time for correct diagnosis of endo is a staggering 9 years! this is mostly due to it mimicing other symptoms) and this is the only way to get an accurate diagnosis - u/s and CT scans will not pick up the endo - an MRI might - this is the only way to know for sure.

I will follow-up w/my surgery results...best of luck to all and I feel for all of you....

one other very important symptom of endo is INFERTILITY! have it checked out esp. if you do not have children already and want them in the future - the longer is goes untreated the more potential for fertility problems down the road and trust me this is something you do not want to go through (I've been going through infertility for almost 4 years - hoping the lap will shed some light on our problems!)

Well...it is good to see I'm not alone in this. Since Christmas my lower back has been getting worse and 2 weeks ago the cramping sensation was daily. Funny, since I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago, so there's no uterus to cramp. I do have ovaries, so this past week, had internal exam, then ultrasound, urine test, even tried chiropractor and lower spinal xray. No degeneration which was a concern due to my scoliosis. So I'm at a loss, but I suppose will try the kidney stone idea next. Small 11-16mm cysts were found on ovaries, but this was considered "normal" activity. I'm super active and can't deal with this easily. Hanging in there with others wondering about the same things.

I too, have had a hysterectomy. I had it for Adenomyosis & Endometriosis.
I have cyclical cramping pains as if I were going to have my period. sharpe pains just before passing gas (sharp enough to darn near double me over) and a fullness in my abdomen.
I have been reading alot that even if you have had a hyst, endometriosis can still cause pain if lesions are left behind.
I was previously told that I have a cyst on my left overy and it is the lower left side that hurts most of the time.

I was just wondering if perhaps some of you, who have had so many tests done (believe me - I have been there and still am), and very simular pain - if it has ever been suggested to look for endometriosis..... Cause some of these posts sure sound alot like it!

Is it normal to have a cyst on the overiers? Or could this very harsh pain comming from where I think my overies would be. I don't have my appendix anymore, but this pait is so painful. I haven't been able to talk to my doctor. Does any one have any guesses? anyoe, please. I'm scared

I have this same pain right now and have been going to doctors to have it solved with no results. I had a CT Scan two days ago and a pelvic sonogram yesterday.....both negative. I have had a radical hysterectomy so I can tell you this is NOT NECESSARILY female related. As a matter of fact, I had the hysterectomy BECAUSE of this pain two years ago and didn't want it. I've read and been told since that most women have cysts on their ovaries and it's not necessarily a reason to have the hysterectomy. But they will tell you endemetriosis is.

Be careful If you chase this as a "female problem". It can get bigger and bigger and end with a lot of treatment and maybe even surgery that you don't need. It ends with you not being able to have children and still having the pain. It's awful to be thirty six, not necessarily done having kids but can't and on hormone pills with hot flashes and mood swings. Just be careful on this route is my opinion. By the way, I've had kidney stones too and this pain is nothing like it.

I've been reading and it seems the gallbladder and pancreas can both cause these types of symptoms. It has been my experience that doctors sometimes focus on "female problems" first instead of continuing to look elsewhere. It's a trap....run! Mostly, remember that no matter how intimidating they are, doctors work for you. Your healthcare is ultimately in YOUR hands and you should take advantage of the web and read and ask for tests that YOU feel are necessary. If your doctor ignores you, change.

Hi...I have dull aches that have gotten worse in lower left stomache and in upper left thigh (groin area). My breasts are soo soar all over including under my armoits, and I have back pain on left side too! Iv'e been avoiding doctor but i have no choice but to get this checked out....any ideas what these symptoms are?