My Dad is 70 years old, has early stages of Parkinson and is on medication for high blood pressure. Recently there have been 2 occasions when we have been out at a restaurant and when he has got up to leave the table he has started to loose balance and has fainted. After resting for 10 minutes he is fine. He went to the doctors after the first time and had blood tests that came back fine. He has had checks on his thyroid and adrenal glands both showed no problems. I am really worried it could happen when he is on his own. He is going back to the doctors Any ideas?

Hi CarBra,

How's his blood pressure?  Orthostatic hypotension, or postural hypotension, is when the blood pressure drops rapidly when changing positions, such as standing up.

120/80 for a blood pressure is normal for a 20 year old, not a 70 year old. 

He is on blood pressure medication due to high blood pressure. He does monitor it at home and has shown the results to his doctor who was happy with the figures.

Yes but WHAT IS his blood pressure?

I'm sure his doctor is very happy if the numbers are low but that may not be normal for your father. That's what most doctors don't get.