hi i'm 32 157lb 5 7ft i'm in good shape,but every time ieat i feel very sleepy and tired, even if i eat piece of cake,and i notice the first tim i eat in the morning i have little pain in my stomach,

I have the same problem. When I get eat I am so tired I can't keep my eyes open. I seem to have this problem in conjunction with digestive problems. I have had "irritable bowel" since I was a teen. It has fgotten pretty chronic now. I get lots of acid reflux and diarrhea. Tums and Immodium everyday helps ESP the tums ease the tiredness. I have a hard time avoiding coffee so that is part of the problem. I am very interested in hearing other peoples' experiences and any info about causes and solutions. I really want to get this under control!

Hello there,

I usually get very sleepy and tired but in the afternoon. This is maybe related with the fact that I am skipping my breakfast since I was a teen. If I eat in the morning I am hungry and sleepy all day long so I am trying to avoid this.

When I have mentioned this problem to my doctor he said that I need to adjust my diet and stop drinking coffee and eating spicy and peppery food. I am trying to follow his strict instructions but it is very hard and my stomach is my worst enemy. When I am trying to indulge myself I get sick afterwards and I believe that it will be very hard to fight this problem. If someone knows any better solution than trying to reduce food which I love I am open to hear it.    

Hi Danell
I have the exact same issue. If I eat breakfast, I am just hungry and tired all day. I try to wait until noon before I eat.
Are you a morning-person? I am at my best immediately after I wake up in the morning, then it goes down hill from there...
I am anxious to hear how your diet-turn-around went.
x
Jazz
(btw I'm not a native english speaker, so sorry for any spelling-mistakes ;))

It sounds like a gluten allergy or sensitivity. I am gluten sensitive... pain in the tummy, sleepiness, extra weight around midsection.
Try eating gluten free and see if that helps.

I have this same problem. The best thing I can recommend is try to do gluten free, low sugar, small meals, and sensory strategies. Bring an ice cold water bottle to drink after lunch. Caffeine free teas (i like mint) or sugar free sour candy also work. Anything hot, cold, sour, minty, crunchy, or spicy to occupy your mouth, We all find different things comforting and arousing. Play around with what works for you. I would also try to get up every half hour and walk around. Believe me, I know this is hard. I set my iphone alarm so I remember and just quickly get up for a minute to stretch. This is not always possible where I work, but I try to do it as often as possible. Lastly, I would recommend the use of fidgets. If you are sitting for long periods of time keep your hands occupied. I have found no easy answers! But determination helps me do what others do effortlessly.

@ Guest (above post)

Thanks for posting.  I've come to doubt if any single change I can make to eating or lifestyle will 'cure' the problem, but you've listed sensible advice, worth trying. For myself, I posted some weeks ago that I had started a diet, and that I was walking much more than I used to due to suddenly being without a car.  I'm now down to about 170 pounds (roughly 78kg), which means I've lost about thirty pounds over the past 4 months or so. I'm 5'11" tall, and most of the lost flab was from around my waste. This time there was more of it than in previous years, no doubt partly due to age (I'm 50) and as a result of stopping smoking back in March.

I still never eat breakfast simply due to lack of desire (yes, I know I probably should do but I just can't face food til I've been up for a few hours) but I have started eating lunch again, which I avoided for many years, simply because of the tiredness afterwards. In other words, I used to go all day without food, only eating in the evening which of course is a dreadfully bad system.  Lunch now consists of a low or VERY low carb meal, usually with a generous helping of salad or non-starchy vegetables. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, e.g. yesterday I ate a tin of mackerel in tomato sauce (I discarded some of the sauce which was a bit too rich for a dieter) with a heap of mixed salad, including chopped red pepper and onion.  Other times I'll have grilled chicken with, say, cabbage and carrots. I find the drink that accompanies lunch doesn't seem to matter too much; water is good (of course), but pure fruit juice (either freshly squeezed or from concentrate), tea or diet sodas all appear to bring on no symptoms of the dreaded 'zonk out' - I'll be keeping an eye on the liquids factor though; it may be that non-diet sodas turn out to be enemies.

I don't always go for a walk straight after lunch, sometimes I might get sleepy, although there doesn't always seem to be a direct correlation between these two conditions; i.e. some days I'll eat a light lunch, go for a brisk walk straight afterwards and feel really drowsy as soon as I get in again. Other days I might eat a bit more and then stay in all afternoon without noticing any drooping of the eyelids. But, broadly speaking, the new regimen seems to have made a big difference. To sum up:

I now try to eat lunch most days. I Try to stick to very low carb with plenty of protein and salad/non-starchy veggies. I walk as much as possible, and the weight loss has - so far - been maintained. I still sometimes get sleepy after food, but it's noticeably better than it was. I'll keep you posted. 

Good luck everyone.

I eat a protein filled breakfast & I am fine. Normally, I will have eggs of some kind and some fruit, never any carbs...however, I eat lunch or dinner and I get so sleepy. I try to stay away from carbs and sugar and still get tired. Sometimes I have to take a nap.

I always workout before I have lunch so I have the energy to do the full workout.

HELP!!

I read these posts and understand exactly, as i've suffered for most of my life with tiredness (often mistaken as laziness). Meals are a big consideration, as they can virtually render me extremely sleepy and ineffective in daily activities. It varies from month to month in severity, but whenever I've started a new job. I've had to be extra careful and sometimes skipped lunch altogether to get through the day. I used to get labelled as depressed, but often at times when everything in my life was generally well. Not sure if there is a 'cure'. Dave3335

There could be multiple reasons why people get tired after meals and diet is a good place to start.  For me, it's because of low red blood cell count which I get from a blood disorder I have called Spherocytosis.  It runs in my family and it is the most common disorder of the red cell membrane, but it doesn't always get diagnosed because there often aren't any major symptoms.  Some of the more severe symptoms are kidney stones, or an enlarged spleen.  It escapes a standard blood test as it requires a reticulocyte count (test) specific for this disorder.  I gave blood for years w/o ever being turned down through their testing process but once I was positive for Sphero and told them, theysaid no thanks. 

In a nutshell, the red blood cells are shaped like spheres instead of "doughnuts" and the spleen mistakens them for foreign objects and filters them (destroys them) prematurely.  My body has to produce 3x's the red blood cells as someone w/o the disorder, my son for example is worse at 9x's.  I get extremely tired after eating, even a small meal and no matter what the carb / protein or quantity ratios are.   Taking folic acid (synthesized folates) works for my son and I and we feel the effects of the supplements within a day or two of taking them (if we haven't been taking them for awhile).  I feel this disorder has some relation to digestive health as I see all my family members that are affected having IBS symptoms at times and for the most part we're healthy eaters.  My nephew has had his spleen and gallbladder removed, my brother had his gallbladder removed.  My mom has no symptoms and she's 68. 

My point here is it might be worth a consideration if nothing else seems to work.  Besides feeling "anemic" at times in my life, like after eating, I had no symptoms and would never have been tested had my brother and his son not been worse off and found out they had it and it can be hereditary.  I would have still been trying every combo of foods available and I would never have solved my problem.  This disorder doesn't get a lot of exposure and I believe it's way more common than stats show, BECAUSE many people don't realize they have it.  But because it's really not deadly and people can go about their lives relatively symptom free (in many cases), it doesn't get a lot of exposure. 

My reason for posting this is to hopefully give another possible reason for those finding dead ends with everything else they've tried.  I also did the weekly natropathic doctor visits, cutting out allergens, multiple blood tests to check adrenals etc. so I know how frustrating it is to not get answers and run into dead ends...or hearing the typical, just "exercise more, eat better, stress less, sleep better" yada yada.  Good luck!

Fruit is just sugar and water. It might be fructose not glucose but it's still sugar.

You probably have gerd. Go discuss this with your doctor.

Try taking a probiotic supplement, such as "Align" everyday. It will help eliminate the acid reflux and also help with IBS symptoms. It has worked wonders for me! As for being tired after eating, I have the same problem - especially if I eat breakfast right away in the morning. So what I do is drink coffee and then eat when I'm really hungry - around 9 am, and then it doesn't seem to affect me as much. I know everyone says "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" but not for me!

It's very strangr that after eating little piece of cake anyone feels sleepy. Only specialist can solve this problem.

You should visit any good doctor or counselor.