Hello! My sister started to have problems with her blood sugar last year. She was often very nervous, hungry, and weak. Her mood swings were terrible. Since we have diabetes in our family history she checked her blood sugar and it was low. Her doctor recommended a diet and regular exercises. I am afraid something else may be the cause of her condition. I heard hypoglycemia may be connected to pancreas cancer called insulinoma.

Hello! Insulinoma is insulin-producing tumor which can cause hypoglycemia by raising insulin levels too high in relation to blood glucose level. If you want to eliminate insulinoma as a potential cause your sister can do blood test and compare the levels of blood sugar and insulin. Low blood sugar with high insulin level confirms the diagnosis. Further studies as CT scan will be performed to detect the tumor in pancreas. These tumors are very rare and they are usually surgically removed.