Hello, guys. My friend suffers from bulimia. She is hospitalized since her electrolytes are imbalanced. I think she has a low level of chloride. I would like to know if this is possible. What do you think? I hope someone could reply to my question. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hello to you too. Bulimia can lead to a total misbalance of electrolytes. Since a person does not eat regularly, there must be consequences. That is why the metabolism is changed. Low chloride is just one of manifestations. It is called hypochloremia. Chloride helps in regulating sodium level. Hypokaliemia and hyponatremia is also possible. Those are low levels of potassium and sodium. Your friend will receive infusions for getting better. I hope she will be better. Bye!

Hallo,
Bulimia is very problematic eating disorder. Bulimia nervosa is a condition where you go through bouts of binge eating that are often followed by purging to avoid weight-gain and relieve the feeling of being uncomfortably full. The thing is that this can affect your body in many ways. One of these problems is of course the problem with chloride levels. When you have bulimia you will often suffer from hypochloremia. This will cause low chlorine levels in the body caused by often vomiting. Do you know if your friend is receiving any medication for this problem? In my opinion she should recover in hospital and after that she might consider taking part in therapy sessions to get rid of her bulimia.