Hi, I am curious to know if there are any damages to the body caused by bulimia? My sister suffers from compulsive overeating and bulimia.

Hi, I believe that she is also aware of it, that there are many dangerous for the body like diabetes, atherosclerosis, stomach and kidneys damage as a result of constant vomiting. Teeth can suffer. Girls may stop getting their periods. Certainly, loss of the mineral potassium is very dangerous for balance in organism. Individuals with bulimia often have also psychological problems due to the disease. They spend a lot of mental energy on planning their next binge, get obsessed with exercising and hide when they are eating and after meal for vomiting.

Therapy Hope For Eating Disorders

Hallo,
Bulimia is eating disorder. This is illness where you will binge of food or you will have regular episodes of overeating and you will feel a loss of control. The fact is that women have more problems with bulimia than men. How old is your sister? I know that adolescent girls have this more often than older women. The treatment is different and it depends on the stage of the bulimia. Support groups are very good to treat bulimia problems so try to talk to your sister about joining a support group in your town. Sometimes medication can help also, to lose the depression that is often noticed in bulimia patients. I hope this helped.