Hello, I'm concerned that I have an eating disorder and I'm diabetic. I'm a 41 year old woman and I'm a little over weight. I'm wondering if this is common with diabetics. I tend to eat normally most of the time but then I eat everything in site. My friend tells me this is binge eating. Does anyone else have this problem. Sometimes I actually make my self sick with the amount of food I eat. How do I stop with behavior. I'm wondering if you could die from this. Can someone help me with this. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Its not uncommon for an eating disorder and diabetes to go hand in hand. Yes, this can become serious enough to become fatal. Getting your eating disorder under control is absolutely necessary. According to the medical community, eating disorders are more common amongst women. In fact, women with type 1 often present with bulimia. Bulimia is a form of binge eating. This involves eating large amounts of food rapidly. You may have recurring episodes of bulimia and eating large amounts of food may be accompanied by vomiting which you make happen or if you are on insulin you may just opt to omit your insulin dose. In some cases, an individual may exercise themselves to death or go on extreme fasting. Diabetics with type 2 often experience binge eating. Binge eating is a little different from bulimia in that you tend to eat more than you need (makes you feel uncomfortable). Generally, there is no purging in this case. You might fast from time to time often because of a sense of guilt for over-eating. Whether you are type 1 or type 2, you will probably need to get help from your doctor to help you modify your behavior. Good idea to do this as soon as possible so you can get on with your life.